coastalfreak

Wanting to make my own soft plastics

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi y'all, I have been wanting to pour my own soft plastics for a while now and I'm wondering a few things:

1. What plastic are most soft plastics made of? Zoom worms foe instance

2. Where can I buy the plastic that the worms are made of?

Thank you in advance!

You want to do a search for plastisol that's what the plastic is several companies supply it for fishing lures there formulas might vary a little but essentially the same, then you need to buy molds or make them, getting a heating source that can get to 350 deg f hotplate or old microwave. smaller baits 4 to 5 inches like flukes might use medium hardness  bigger shades and eel type baits might use med/hard. use can start out with medium and buy some hardener or softner and add to plastic before heat to get hardness you like, colorants are oil based and sold by the same companies along with glitter. plaster make a decent mold but must be sealed after it dries out after a week to prevent air bubbles I used epoxy to do that some use white glue good luck your from Georgia the plastic I use Lure Works is based there check out their site  

That's a solid summary.  Cool thing about plastisol is you can reheat extra or bad pours, you can even recycle old plastics.   I'd also encourage a proper respirator and rtv silicone for making a mold. Silicone is supposed to be a superior product (sets faster, picks up more details) but you also pay for the upgrade.  Personally I haven't tried plaster but I'm interested in trying now.  

Edited by PBFISH

I cast a factory made bait in pop after 2 hours I pull bait stick mold in oven at 250 for 2 hours then in microwave fo1,25 minutes let cool for 5 then 1.25 again I do this about 4 times eventually after heating if you see no more steam coming out and let it cool fully it can be sealed I found 1 gallon kit of water based epoxy  paint at olllies for 8 bucks I think it used for cement walls to seal them and can be thinned with water I apply 1 coat every 3 hours total of 4 coat the next day mold is hard, shinny and sealed if still a little tacky stick in oven at 150 for 30 minutes should be cured by then.glaze mold with olive oil every 3 pours or so. my baits come out shiny as metal molds