Seaweed 65

Ice Augers

19 posts in this topic

Wondering about mid price range ice auger. If you have any models and makes that stand out to you. Not hardcore every weekend work, more casual application . Thanks for your help.    

Hand auger???one that won’t break the bank that I use all the time is the black lazer by strike master way better than the Mora brand they have a concave set of blades which reopen froze over holes easier and they cut way better..

and a 6” is fine for most fish I’ve landed walleyes to 12lbs through a 6” hole not easy but doable.

and stripers up to almost 30”!

769E250D-7DCD-44B0-8D32-A5F8D1F1A4D9.jpeg

52B6272A-1E04-4E47-892E-2E4E06383DB0.jpeg

Strictly hand auger: Nils 6" hand auger.  Cut through ice like butter. 

Pro:  offset handle, no downward pressure is needed when drilling, the auger go down on it's own, easily.  No hanging on the last bit of ice. 

Con: propitiatory cutting head is delicate and expensive to replace. Only one or two place in the US can resharpen the head. Don't lent the auger to your friend, not even your own kin. lol

3 hours ago, hobobob said:

Pro:  offset handle, no downward pressure is needed when drilling, the auger go down on it's own, easily.  No hanging on the last bit of ice. 

Con: propitiatory cutting head is delicate and expensive to replace. Only one or two place in the US can resharpen the head. Don't lent the auger to your friend, not even your own kin. lol

Never liked the nils 

its a different  motion than  “ traditional “ augers

i know guys who run them and like them. I also know guys that sold theirs cheap

i run cheap Eskimo hand auger, just put the clam plate on it and it is even better

i posted a picture and video in the hardwater thread already in the freshwater forum if you care to see it in action 

Edited by The BuzzardsBayBruin

I also use the cordless drill & clam plate.  I have it connected to a 6" lazer hand auger.  It works great, is super quiet, super light and compact.  The only thing I would change is I would like to switch to a 7" auger because I have lost a few fish from them hitting the edge of the 6" hole and popping off.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

I also use the cordless drill & clam plate.  I have it connected to a 6" lazer hand auger.  It works great, is super quiet, super light and compact.  The only thing I would change is I would like to switch to a 7" auger because I have lost a few fish from them hitting the edge of the 6" hole and popping off.

I use an 8”

much more convenient all around when when it comes down to fishing. Especially in the mega cold

1 min ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

I hate wet leg when it’s cold... I use the spud so I don’t fall in when the ice gets lousy

We have went through on sketchy ice, but i don't really credit it to the spud. I think the ice is usually just bad. 

The spud lets me get through in about a minute, easy. Usually the holes are pretty small though. I leave the auger at home because of weight. 

On 1/12/2018 at 1:51 PM, mkus said:

Hand auger???one that won’t break the bank that I use all the time is the black lazer by strike master way better than the Mora brand they have a concave set of blades which reopen froze over holes easier and they cut way better..

and a 6” is fine for most fish I’ve landed walleyes to 12lbs through a 6” hole not easy but doable.

and stripers up to almost 30”!

769E250D-7DCD-44B0-8D32-A5F8D1F1A4D9.jpeg

52B6272A-1E04-4E47-892E-2E4E06383DB0.jpeg

+ 1 have the six inch lazer attached to a echo 5/8 gas drill and have out drilled every other auger out there. Best part is the weight just over eight pounds for those long treks to the ice , have also pulled stripers thru the hole over thirty inches and northern pike to 38  40 inches. I my opinion you don't need a bigger auger than 6 inch. Makes for alot more work hand cranking those 8's and 10's by hand.

On 1/12/2018 at 4:10 PM, hobobob said:

Yeah I never liked nils either too expensive and hard to resharpen standard auger blades can be resharpened at local hardware store