jesgord

Needlefish Plugs - Long Island Sound?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

As its winter and I can't fish, I'm re-reading "Striper Pursuit" and just finished the needlefish chapter.  I have a few of the smaller SS needles (can't remember weight/eye color) but hardly ever throw them in my bag, as almost all the fishing I do is on the Sound and bays.  Anyone here use needles regularly in the Sound or bay?  I've always though of them as more of an ocean plug and only bring them out when the Sound is looking fairly rough.  Am I missing out by not fishing them more regularly?

12 hours ago, fishinthedark said:

get the black choppy floater in 1.5 oz :th:

I don't own Choopy's but a wooden high riding needle (instead of a SS)  will most always be more effective in the moderate calm waters of the sound. The reasonably priced Gibbs stubby is an almost forgotten about plug these days. A very effective high riding plug on a slow retrieve in calmer water.

1 hour ago, redfin said:

I don't own Choopy's but a wooden high riding needle (instead of a SS)  will most always be more effective in the moderate calm waters of the sound. The reasonably priced Gibbs stubby is an almost forgotten about plug these days. A very effective high riding plug on a slow retrieve in calmer water.

Does the stubby float or will it slow sink. I am looking for a super slow sinking short needle. Don’t want a floater. Thanks.

1 hour ago, striperswiper06437 said:

I fished these all last season in LIS, but also did well with them at Cutty, Block and MV.  Weighs in around 3.5 ounces.  Very slow and level sinking needle.  Great for shallower areas and structure.

Completed Set 2.jpg

Ill check them out. What are they?

5 hours ago, ER31400 said:

Does the stubby float or will it slow sink. I am looking for a super slow sinking short needle. Don’t want a floater. Thanks.

The stubby sinks and rather fast IMO. However, it's rather unique in the sense that for such a quick sinker it rises tot surface very easily on a slow retrieve and stays there very easily on a very slow retrieve. While it may not represent what you were looking for exactly, I would urge anyone fishing quite waters to give one a try. If you get the speed just right (and its gotta be slow with nearly zero tension on the line) it has a very nice side to side wiggle. 

Made my way into needles last year and hammered fish on them. Outfished everyone around me for a few weeks. They are great in shallow areas where sweep rolls over a bar or rocks. Just reel them in slow with an occasional twitch like a bucktail. Most of the benefits of a needle in my opinion are that they cast 2 times as far as most plugs allowing you to cover water easily. If you hammer fish during the day on poppers, switch to a needle at night and you'll be amazed.

Start with the small ss, then go to the large ss, then bm sinking until you find what size profile they want.

Edited by xjclint