Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kross57

Now, THIS is how you test a drysuit. :)

22 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Slacker said:

If you are afraid to go in the water in your drysuit, why have one.  Right?

Testing only  counts if you live in New Jersey. Everyone else is not qualified. 

Edited by The Riddler

"This is how you test a dry suit"

I can appreciate the post, not sure what the point is though……..

Walking in up to your chest checking for leaks in your suit is one thing, you can turn around & walk back out in 2 seconds……… flipping in a real time situation 1/4 mile or more off the beach in freezing water over your head, losing even some dexterity & winding up even a couple of strokes away from your kayak is another…….. Right now the waters what, low 30’s ?

That’s like me snapping a pick of my buddy standing chest deep in the same spot you are wearing waders / dry top & saying "this is how you test your waders!", absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Look at the replies you got already…….IMO, All this photo spread did is leave people with a false sense of security, there's a lot more to it than walking in & out of the water…..

You seem to have some good cold water kayaking experience that you’ve shared along the way, why not elaborate on this topic, IMO,you’re amiss with this one…..

Regards….

Holy christ. I think some of you people had your sense of humor surgically removed. :)

The only reason I posted this was because I thought the photos were amusing. He walks off the beach and basically diappears. 

Frankie say relax. 

Edited by kross57

The first time most people test their drysuit or drytop/waders is the first time they dump their boat.  That is why we get treated to the occasional story about the guy that can't get back in and floats around until someone comes to help.  Seeing someone check for leaks pro-actively is nice.  It also is a good way of gauging the effectiveness of the under-layers... what seems great sitting in the boat might not seem great after 10 minutes of or so in the water... taking a swim is how you find out.

1 min ago, Slacker said:

The first time most people test their drysuit or drytop/waders is the first time they dump their boat.  That is why we get treated to the occasional story about the guy that can't get back in and floats around until someone comes to help.  Seeing someone check for leaks pro-actively is nice.  It also is a good way of gauging the effectiveness of the under-layers... what seems great sitting in the boat might not seem great after 10 minutes of or so in the water... taking a swim is how you find out.

I totally agree. That wasn't my point here, but I do think you need to test it, not just assume it works.  My buddy had received a new suit and wanted to see if it leaked, and how the layering, hood and gloves felt in the ocean water. He sloshed around for a while. I was able to snap a few shots that I thought were neat. No biggie.   

1 min ago, kross57 said:

I totally agree. That wasn't my point here, but I do think you need to test it, not just assume it works.  My buddy had received a new suit and wanted to see if it leaked, and how the layering, hood and gloves felt in the ocean water. He sloshed around for a while. I was able to snap a few shots that I thought were neat. No biggie.   

Nice Save! :D

11 mins ago, kross57 said:

He's got ice on his beard & mustache, kayak is facing away from the water, it just got dragged up on the beach,  this isn't a "just arrived at the beach shot"