Seaweed 65

Shipping VS Travel with gear.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I'm considering shipping a 7' and 8' both two piece and my tackle to Florida instead bringing with us on plane. I have yet to check prices but was wondering if any of you ship instead of travel with your gear? Thanks for the input

11 mins ago, Stuu said:

Yes, always ship my 7 footers. About $40 each way UPS. Worth every penny to fish with the rod you love.

What kind of box/tube do you use?

Do you ship them with the reels on them?  Or do you pack the reels in a suitcase/carry-on?

4 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

How about buying the equipment that you may need in Florida... 

I wish I could afford that! . I usually use one piece but I use these as my "Away" rods. I will check UPS tomorrow .. The less I have to travel with the better. Thanks for the help

I always check in my fishing gear and rods, few things you should note.  Arrive EARLY.. and make sure it is checked in with time and also do NOT take a connecting flight.  Always try to fly direct to your location, many times on the connecting flights your stuff can get misplaced and not put in your flight.  All my personal items and clothes go on a carry on for my self and also a back pack.  Checked in luggage has a limit of 50lbs but you can fit a whole lot in a large suitcase. 

I ship my rods as much as possible.It costs,so u have to decide how much

your aggravation is worth. Reels get bubble wrapped and put in checked in

luggage. I purchased a travel rod on the BST (Thanks Stuu !) that i actually

like that is carry on size. Might b an option to look at. For years i used a big

Plano tube w/wheels for up to 8 '. Make up your mind ahead of time u might

spend a little time tracking it down . It was nice having a variety of your own

rods w you.

If your rods are 2 piece, there is no need to ship. Any rod with a 50/50 split, up to 10ft, will fit in any over head bin on any jet. It feels so much nicer to have gear in hand on arrival so you can go straight to fishing if you so choose.

Band your rods together and take them on the plane as a carry on item, stick them in the overhead bin.

Been doing this for years with out issues, sometimes with as many as 5 rods. I keep my reels in my carry on bag. Fishing tackle and tools go into the checked bag.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I have flown with gear to Florida many times. Jet Blue and Southwest. My fly rods are now all 4 pc, I can carry them on the aircraft never had an issue. Tried it once with two pc fly rods, they made me check them. Fly tackle good to go too, all salt stuff probably up to a 2/0 hook. Reels are good to go too, in a carry on bag. Any pliers, knives anything that could construed as a "weapon" I check with  my regular luggage.

I would consider calling TSA, sometimes the rules change, don't want to be caught off guard at check in.

One time when I had two piece rods I bought a piece of PVC tubing with caps, worked out great, had to check them but they were well protected.

4 hours ago, Seaweed 65 said:

Good call FT! I will call TSA and get some guidelines . 

The guide lines are online, just print them out and take them with you if you are concerned.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

5 hours ago, Fly Time said:

I have flown with gear to Florida many times. Jet Blue and Southwest. My fly rods are now all 4 pc, I can carry them on the aircraft never had an issue. Tried it once with two pc fly rods, they made me check them. Fly tackle good to go too, all salt stuff probably up to a 2/0 hook. Reels are good to go too, in a carry on bag. Any pliers, knives anything that could construed as a "weapon" I check with  my regular luggage.

I would consider calling TSA, sometimes the rules change, don't want to be caught off guard at check in.

One time when I had two piece rods I bought a piece of PVC tubing with caps, worked out great, had to check them but they were well protected.

I won't fly Jet Blue.

Southwest has never had me check a rod ever. But, I also don't put my rods in a tube, which could be the difference as a tube wouldn't always be considered a carry on item like a rod without a tube would be considered.

10 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

The guide lines are online, just print them out and take them with you if you are concerned.

4 hours ago, Seaweed 65 said:

Good call FT! I will call TSA and get some guidelines . 

I travel a lot, 75% of the year.  TSA rules online are one thing, and what the TSA agent you happen to encounter will allow are very different.  It’s just easier to check or ship anything that might cause headaches.  You can’t win an argument with a government agency ran by high school graduates. 

$40 each way for a 2pc 7-8ft rod sounds like too much.