Big Slick

Has anyone fished in Iceland?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm investigating a trip to Iceland.  Wondering if anyone has any experience booking "direct" with someone in country?  I know the usual suspects to book a trip(Yellow Dog, Frontiers, Fly Water, etc.) but I am looking to cut out the middle man.  

Any information(good or bad) would be helpful.

Thanks.

I would like to fish for Trout and Salmon.  Thinking 4-5 days for trout and 1-2 days for salmon.(if possible)  I think for both, you need to go in July or August.

Snuck one day of fishing in there last summer for Artic Char during family vacation.  Used a guide given short time window.  I'm envious of the idea of a week there!  FWIW it seems like a place where you need some help to get access to rivers, many (most?) of which are private.

Most European water is private and access to good water, especially salmon water, is veerrrrrryyy expensive. I am not sure it's even possible to fish without working through a middleman to do the permits. The rental is likely to be high.

an international group of us (8) went here in 2016.  very comfy accommodations, great food, amazing scenery and best yet... amazing fishing.  they arrange guests and fishing according to what's available based on what's permitted - limited spots and they fill up fast.  a few km down the road is a processor that you can trade your fresh/frozen salmon for truly amazing vac packed smoked for the trip home.

you can call them directly and work out a package that includes permits, guides etc.

http://westranga.is/lodge/

We visited last March and I thought about bringing a rod, a stream ran right through the middle of the Airbnb farm we stayed at.  Only problem is the ordeal you have to go through to take your own fishing tackle and waders into the country.  It's got to be disinfected by your local veterinary office per specific guidelines and they issue a certificate with a stamp of approval that Customs will want to see, or you can let Icelandic Customs know and they'll arrange with a private company at the Keflavik Airport to do it for you.  It's not expensive, but just a pain in the butt and time consuming.  Go for it, though, there's beautiful water everywhere, and if you make it down to the south coast to Vik grab a pizza at Restaurant Suder Vik.

Similar to someone who commented earlier, my wife and I snuck away from a family trip to fish a day while in Iceland two summers ago.  We hired a guide named Gummi (i forgot his last name).  He was great. He has a website.  Landed  salmon, char and trout - nothing huge - beautiful waters which he leased - got filmed by a Game of Thrones tour while fishing at the base of a waterfall that appeared in GoT.  Used his equipment to avoid hassles noted by others. "Expensive" is relative.  For me, especially given the quality of fishing I get much cheaper or free in home waters, and the absolute cost to fish in Iceland, fishing in Iceland is extremely expensive.  I am very sensitive to cost per unit of fun compared with other otpions when I think about fishing trips.  In that sense only, Iceland did not measure up.  If cost were no object, it's awesome to fish there and to be there when not fishing. If I were knocking down the big bucks, I am sure I would go back.  Gorgeous place.  There are definitely some public waters, but quite a bit is sewn up with a system of leasing.  Also, Gummi said that it was custom everywhere in Iceland for guides to book guided days non-refundable even if weather or river conditions made fishing impossible. 

Edited by pkw1689