ChumSlickJon

Do we have a computer forum yet?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I'm doing a P2V migration and hyperv 2012 supports vhdx files.  But the migration is of an AD Domain Controller so when it boots, it's database consistency check will check sector size.  Well the physical disk sectors are 512Kb and the VHDX sector size is 4K.  You can see the problem here.  BSOD.  the easy way around that is to convert backwards to VHD format but I was curious if you can somehow trick the VHDX into using 512Kb.  

What do you think Red?

1 min ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I'm doing a P2V migration and hyperv 2012 supports vhdx files.  But the migration is of an AD Domain Controller so when it boots, it's database consistency check will check sector size.  Well the physical disk sectors are 512Kb and the VHDX sector size is 4K.  You can see the problem here.  BSOD.  the easy way around that is to convert backwards to VHD format but I was curious if you can somehow trick the VHDX into using 512Kb.  

What do you think Red?

Umm 

yea,

hit that little button in the corner that says Vimeo on it, that will automatically, resize  your vector 28kgs with the isotopeial ram causing the vex to reboot!!!

let me know if that doesn’t work I’ll dig deaper  :th: 

Have you messed around with the SET command from a command prompt on the VM Server?

Something like "set-vhd VHDname.vhdx –PhysicalSectorSizeBytes 512"

We had something like this come up with a couple of images months ago, but I'm not the one who found it.  I just know this is what ultimately got us around it, at about 4am. 

14 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

Umm 

yea,

hit that little button in the corner that says Vimeo on it, that will automatically, resize  your vector 28kgs with the isotopeial ram causing the vex to reboot!!!

let me know if that doesn’t work I’ll dig deaper  :th: 

:laugh:

1 min ago, JoeyZac said:

Have you messed around with the SET command from a command prompt on the VM Server?

Something like "set-vhd VHDname.vhdx –PhysicalSectorSizeBytes 512"

We had something like this come up with a couple of images months ago, but I'm not the one who found it.  I just know this is what ultimately got us around it, at about 4am. 

Thanks.  Could be a step down the right path.  Yeah I stuck around until 1am before booting back up the Physical machine and going home to nap.  

15 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

What do you think Red?

I would create a new VM with the same OS and on the same network as you physical DC. I would join the VM to the domain, dcpromo to AD controller, DNS etc roles then make it the schema master. At that point I would shut down the physical and ignore the replication errors to test functionality, of everything looks good I would boot up the physical DC and remove it's roles, dijoin it from the domain and call it two days. You do have multiple DCS right? Please say yes.

That is only because I don't know the answer to your original question.

3 mins ago, seadogface said:

I would create a new VM with the same OS and on the same network as you physical DC. I would join the VM to the domain, dcpromo to AD controller, DNS etc roles then make it the schema master. At that point I would shut down the physical and ignore the replication errors to test functionality, of everything looks good I would boot up the physical DC and remove it's roles, dijoin it from the domain and call it two days. You do have multiple DCS right? Please say yes.

That is only because I don't know the answer to your original question.

I'm doing a hardware and software upgrade.  Deploying new (much larger) disks and SAN devices.  While doing this I'm looking to perform a lot of migrations.  Could I build all new servers from scratch?  Sure.  Do I want to do it that way?  No.  I'll be running a mix of Physical and virtual and in disaster recovery scenario's I'd like to make sure I know the answers to these problems and have a plan in place so I don't get stuck working on something until 1am again or even worse 4am.   :bucktooth:  So I want answers damnit