Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lagerhead

St Croix problem

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

According to some knowledgeable rod builders I've talked to, this results from the fact that St Croix used cardboard to build a bushing under the seat in the rod assembly. This is second hand, but they've repaired a number of Ben Doerr rods.

BM fixed his by pouring super glue between the seat and the blank.

The good news is, if you don't want to go the super glue route, it's an easy fix. No disassembly of the guides needed--strip the cork tape foregrip, lift the seat forward onto the blank, build a new bushing under the seat, re-epoxy it, and add a new foregrip.

Regardless of age...send it back to ST Croix.

They are aware of this problem and as far as all the cases that I have heard, fixed or replaced the rod.

Regardless of age...send it back to ST Croix.

They are aware of this problem and as far as all the cases that I have heard, fixed or replaced the rod.

I agree they have never refused any rods I have sent back even those out of warranty. Well, except the wind my buddy got caught in the car door on a windy night....3 pieces, bent guides,,,it was a mess.

Thanks for the responses dudes. This is the rod I use for 90% of my fishing. Its an 8 footer and is great for beach boat and jetty. I think I might try to fix it since its been getting a bit of use lately. The prospect of getting a new one is also quite appealing though.

This is the 3rd season for this rod with little use last year. Just wondering.... what is the lifespan for a graphite fishing rod ?

Okay, the rod has been repaired thanks to the generosity and knowledge of Joe A. icon14.gif

We ended up stripping the lower tape off (mine was kinda beat from a rod holder anyway). The lower foam but end came off intact. Pulled the reel seat off and lo and behold... cardboard ! Looks like St Croix uses an epoxy cardboard tube epoxy spacer setup. The seat separated from the cardboard, the cardboard was still fastened to the blank. Ended up using the same seat and foam butt. Joe wrapped 4 masking tape spacers and injected epoxy in the open space as we slid the seat back on. Giving it a couple of days to dry then will be field tested (hopefully this will be a max load test).

Joe... you the man ! Thanks Again. wk

The St. Croix people have been pretty responsive to me. I have four of their rods, because I like the quality. Can't say I see any point in being brand-loyal, though, not when it comes to fishing rods.