KnewBee

Floating Live well

15 posts in this topic

Interested in entering some tournaments that require live weigh in for LMB.   Is there a decent "live well" that can be trolled that will keep a bass from escaping and ensure they survive for about 4 or 5 hrs?

I see some interesting "bait" live wells for Yaks (DIY and commercial).    Laundry basket with pool noodles?  Will the Bass jump out?

Don't want to get a commercial live well that sits on the back.  Too big, too costly and no where to keep my magic fishing potion cooler. 

11 hours ago, KnewBee said:

Interested in entering some tournaments that require live weigh in for LMB.   Is there a decent "live well" that can be trolled that will keep a bass from escaping and ensure they survive for about 4 or 5 hrs?

I see some interesting "bait" live wells for Yaks (DIY and commercial).    Laundry basket with pool noodles?  Will the Bass jump out?

Don't want to get a commercial live well that sits on the back.  Too big, too costly and no where to keep my magic fishing potion cooler. 

Are there kayak tournaments being run that way?  All the big ones are photo and release.  

6 hours ago, Slacker said:

Are there kayak tournaments being run that way?  All the big ones are photo and release.  

Not Kayak tournaments.  I do participate in several catch, photo, release kayak tourneys, but want to try a local one that requires live weigh ins.   I will fish the same area on the same days as the guys in the boats.  I see the tourney results and think, "I could have won that today". 

I dont know of ANY that will allow you to troll properly.  The only idea that I would have is to put a big cooler behind your seat and then run a battery operated bilge pump into it. Of course, the weight of that cooler with all of the water will create additional problems for you.

Just some ideas.....

This is probably outside of what you want to spend but O.k has this nice & tidy icebox that fits the tank well like a glove........... not sure of how this affects stability dynamics but plenty of guys use this as a bait well also.....

I know a guy that lives in Florida that has one of these, besides using it as his cooler he also uses it for live bait & he seems to stay upright without any problems .....

5a58dd7b11061_icebox.jpg.88fe0e16a65a84e146c341dd8bd2670c.jpg

There's other variations out there.............

5a58dd93d2cd8_icebox2.jpg.f31cf7a8283f981dd441a2a5fb663c2f.jpg

1 hour ago, BillZ said:

Just some ideas.....

This is probably outside of what you want to spend but O.k has this nice & tidy icebox that fits the tank well like a glove........... not sure of how this affects stability dynamics but plenty of guys use this as a bait well also.....

I know a guy that lives in Florida that has one of these, besides using it as his cooler he also uses it for live bait & he seems to stay upright without any problems .....

5a58dd7b11061_icebox.jpg.88fe0e16a65a84e146c341dd8bd2670c.jpg

There's other variations out there.............

5a58dd93d2cd8_icebox2.jpg.f31cf7a8283f981dd441a2a5fb663c2f.jpg

So he lets his live bait shag in the same place as he keeps his beer ?

Image result for floating fish basket

Or...

Image result for floating fish basket

I have dragged the wire one around while paddling.  It slows you down big time and pulls to one side.  Still better than that over-priced thing from Hobie.

IDK what kinda yak you got but I use this igloo cooler with an aerator for holding bunker. Can fit 4-5 and will keep them alive for a few hrs after a snag, should hold lmb longer. I've tried dragging things but is a pia. If you need more room I would suggest a stationary floating pot like posted above and run the biggins to the pot. At least with the cooler you can store a few before you load into something else.

P8060067.JPG

I've tried towing stuff with my kayaks and it really sucks.  You can do it, but it's a real pain, maneuvering around and the extra drag will really impact your mobility.

The best thing is something in the kayak, but if that's not possible, "da bunker bag" may work.  Just google that.

I made one and it worked really well for keeping several large bunker alive and because it's inline tight to the kayak, it was hardly noticeable. 

23 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

that poly vinyl mesh bag they handed out at NEKF tourneys seemed like a nice low profile bunker bag...

What was that for, it had grommets, a flag?