The "latest" reason ocean levels aren't rising much

Rate this topic

Sudsy

16 mins ago, Keltan said:

For me makes sense, one inch more water on surface on oceans is HUGEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee extra weight 

Well , if water raise only one inch that is 12,900 km3 .

And that is  approximately 12.900.000 tons .................:)

You‘re at the mercy of whatever talent you have

32 mins ago, Keltan said:

That is impossible :) You have not  heard  that the earth is flat ? 

That makes it even easier...we just tilt it a little and dump some extra water off the edge - problem solved :th:

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

41 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

This confuses me.  Since the earth is round, if the ocean floor is sinking on one side, shouldn't the opposite side of the earth by rising be the same amount?

We are compressing the earths core.  

We might create a black hole when the earth collapses into itself.

Thanks republicans...you are destroying the entire galaxy

24 mins ago, Keltan said:

Well , if water raise only one inch that is 12,900 km3 .

And that is  approximately 12.900.000 tons .................:)

Let's put that in perspective:

All the oceans of the Earth combined weigh:

1,450,000,000,000,000,000 tons.

If 1" of water on top of the oceans would weigh an additional:

12,900,000 tons

That would equate to a .0000000008897% change.  If 1" of water on the oceans could compress the ocean floor, what happens twice a day when all the oceans pile up against land masses trying to get closer to the moon? :idea:   The Bay of Fundy alone sees 115,000,000,000 tons of water piled up twice a day...and it hasn't sunk yet...that's 9,000 times more weight than the  12,900,000 tons spread out across all the oceans :)  

It would take 8,914 inches of global sea level rise at 12,900,000/inch to equal the weight of the water that comes SAFELY into and out of the Bay of Fundy two times each day :read:  

Then again, we may be looking at this all wrong - maybe what we think is the tide 'rising' is really the weight of the moving water pushing the land down...then when the tide goes 'out' the land pops back up :idea:  

**This was pretty hasty math and research, it's entirely possible that I have made mathematical errors, if someone points one out I will happily correct it

TimS

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

4 mins ago, JimG said:

We are compressing the earths core.  

We might create a black hole when the earth collapses into itself.

Thanks republicans...you are destroying the entire galaxy

Wait till we figure out how to turn seawater into electricity...Shark River Hills will be on a mountain top and I'll have to drive the Hudson Canyon in my truck to catch snappers :blackeye:

2 hours ago, TimS said:

Let's put that in perspective:

All the oceans of the Earth combined weigh:

1,450,000,000,000,000,000 tons.

If 1" of water on top of the oceans would weigh an additional:

12,900,000 tons

That would equate to a .0000000008897% change.  If 1" of water on the oceans could compress the ocean floor, what happens twice a day when all the oceans pile up against land masses trying to get closer to the moon? :idea:   The Bay of Fundy alone sees 115,000,000,000 tons of water piled up twice a day...and it hasn't sunk yet...that's 9,000 times more weight than the  12,900,000 tons spread out across all the oceans :)  

It would take 8,914 inches of global sea level rise at 12,900,000/inch to equal the weight of the water that comes SAFELY into and out of the Bay of Fundy two times each day :read:  

Then again, we may be looking at this all wrong - maybe what we think is the tide 'rising' is really the weight of the moving water pushing the land down...then when the tide goes 'out' the land pops back up :idea:  

**This was pretty hasty math and research, it's entirely possible that I have made mathematical errors, if someone points one out I will happily correct it

TimS

Well , our fishing line have breaking point  . Same with ocean bed with that extra inch water .......maybe :)

You‘re at the mercy of whatever talent you have