Fly casting competitions

Rate this topic

BrianBM

18 hours ago, crunch said:

On ICSF Trout distance rod max length is 9'1'' 2750mm and fly line is SA MED WF5F which has 68ft head. MED rear taper is long so it is possible to aerialize even 80ft of line before line shoot and winning casts are almost 40m 133ft in calm and indoors but when casting outdoors wind has big influence.

On Seatrout we cast max 27g floating shooting head using max 10'1'' rod. Shooting line must be 0,35mm and up. Heads are 55ft up to perhaps 70ft. Casting is usually possible to tail wind so head length is chose the length which is possible to straighten to back cast. Casting distance is perhaps 41m indoors and when calm outdoors but again tail wind speed has big influence. There has been at least one Seatrout competition where 60m was cast.

Esa

ESA That is interesting info.

If world class Casters are hitting 40m makes you wonder about the validity of the claimes made by so many that they cast 90 feet and beyond.

The tape rule does not lie. Problem is a good cast probably looks further than  it actually is.

I suspect that apart from technique you need to be pretty strong in the Sea Trout event.

Mike

I'm always interested in casting farther.How ever I don't have the luxury of aerializing a 55 to 70 ft. head in real fishing situations...Some of my fishing includes banks and rocks that only allow an Airflo Sniper to get the job done...Would be nice to know what competition casters use in actual fishing conditions to get Max casting distance...

21 hours ago, crunch said:

This link casting videos by Paul Arden were applications which did cost about $1.50 each but are now free to watch.

https://vimeo.com/user3512900

Best there is for fly line casting in internet by huge margin is on SL forum ;) Don't be afraid to join but there is danger that you need to change your mind what comes to rod loading and recovery etc...

Esa

That part is easy.  I'm too ignorant to have any brain cells seriously invested in any theory of casting.  :)

Brian

Theory is the easy part. It is the practical application that’s the problem.

When you think about why should we expect to be naturally good at fly casting.

For instance give 100 people a tennis racket and most will be just terrible same with golf clubs.

We are in the same boat. I do believe that anyone can become proficient if they want to and are driven to get better.

Mike

A cheery thought.  

Practice is always needed.  Yesterday was a mellow day on Long Island, temperature of 45 f for most of the day, ice melting, snow disappearing, dreams of rooting about in the garden dancing in my head.  Today the thermometer says it's 16 f  and the puddles of yesterday are evil ice slicks. Nobody's catching cod yet.  I may have to make a mackerel trip just to get out.  

You get brutal winters in the USA. Spring will be here soon enough. Please don’t risk your legs on that ice. We need you to keep RJ in line on the Cape.

This Trip Brian the focus needs to be helping you to get into some fish. Number of spots are going through my mind that should not cause you any difficulties.

Have you got your wading leg sorted out so you don’t risk trashing your posh one?

Mike