Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Fly casting competitions

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Yes, Sakke aka sms is 18ft Spey World Champion 2014. Sakke took Bronze on 15'1'' Spey WC 2016 and two Silver medals on both single hand overhead classes, Trout 5wt 9ft rod distance and Seatrout 27g shooting head 10ft rod distance. Also won two Bronce medals on both SH overhead distance 2012 WC.

Yup, I compete. And have gotten some success on an international level too.

I used to train with a single hander about 2004-2007. After that I have not really done an training with them - just competed (and fished).

But I have trained and train spey as much as I can when it is not too cold – which is not as much as I would like to be as consistent as I know I can be and have been on top form (at which I have not been able to compete yet unfortunately).

For fishing, the great benefit is that I can fish in difficult winds, in some places get to more fish, I don't tire from casting and I don't have to concentrate on casting, I can focus on the fish.

I think Lefty said something along the lines: "There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far." That is as long as one remembers to cast the needed distance and not to the limits all the time when fishing (unless distance is the advantage in that type of fishing).

The average angler would greatly benefit from distance casting training under good advisor. Especially SW guys.

I have tons of rods. :naughty: Waaay too many actually.

At Harkers Island in last November I used cheap Chinese ($55 delivered by courier) rod and two other that I have made partially from cheap trolling rods and partially from Bloke XGnP and CTS Revo blanks.

I think on higher line weight classes the fine tips of rods are of no point. So, I cut the tips on all those rods to get rid of the pointless fine tips. And since all of those combined were less than $500 in cost for me, I didn't even blink. And the Revo has two tips anyway. Thou I doubt I will be building the rest of the rod ever as the trolling rods blow the Bloke and CTS parts out the window for my purposes.

Funny thing btw, we measured several 15'1" competition spey rods sometime back. The stiffest to weight rod was an old 16' Bruce & Walker that I had bought from UK and then cut the tip. It was a good rod, but I don't need four 15'1" competition rods so now it belongs to a fellow competition caster. In the weight to stiffness sense it was as good as any other (CND GT or my CTS for example). But, at least in two handed casting, I don't always prefer the lightest rod anyway.

So, once again, it is not the arrow. And the arrow doesn't necessarily get better every year.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I hope to find some good instruction this spring.  

This link casting videos by Paul Arden were applications which did cost about $1.50 each but are now free to watch.

https://vimeo.com/user3512900

Best there is for fly line casting in internet by huge margin is on SL forum ;) Don't be afraid to join but there is danger that you need to change your mind what comes to rod loading and recovery etc...

Esa

28 mins ago, boatdrinks said:

what sort of distances end up winning these events?

Way further than most of us can cast. Importantly there  is no BS unlike on the internet casting as a tape rule is used to measure. :)

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

On ICSF Trout distance rod max length is 9'1'' 2750mm and fly line is SA MED WF5F which has 68ft head. MED rear taper is long so it is possible to aerialize even 80ft of line before line shoot and winning casts are almost 40m 133ft in calm and indoors but when casting outdoors wind has big influence.

On Seatrout we cast max 27g floating shooting head using max 10'1'' rod. Shooting line must be 0,35mm and up. Heads are 55ft up to perhaps 70ft. Casting is usually possible to tail wind so head length is chose the length which is possible to straighten to back cast. Casting distance is perhaps 41m indoors and when calm outdoors but again tail wind speed has big influence. There has been at least one Seatrout competition where 60m was cast.

Esa