Sandflee

Instant Pot

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

my wife picked this up for me a month ago, I have a traditional stove top pressure cooker that i use for short ribs, peppered steak stew etc...   but I must admit this thing kicks arse, so far i did pulled chicken (20 min after it hit pressure, about 30 min total) did ribs as well 20 min under pressure then crisped it up under the broiler

also made a healthy chicken bone broth for my dogs using chicken feet and back parts with carrot and celery (made about a gallon of broth for $2) dogs go nuts over it when added to the dry food. did a beef stew that came out amazing. i like the fact its electric and you can set it and walk away and also use a delay start time. also is a rice cooker, yogurt maker, pressure canner, and a slow cooker as well 

The one I have is not suitable for pressure canning. You can do the canning based on boiling water though, which is a different kind and for different purposes. I do like it a lot for the types of dishes you have already made, but have had some trouble with the escape valve not working properly, unless it is carefully cleaned after use. My personal favorite so far has been a sauerbraten with cubed up stew meat in about an hour all told, finished with the ginger cookies and some minced up crystallized ginger.

I got my wife the Instant Pot Duo for Christmas, and she loves it. A few faves so far: 

• Mexican-style shredded chicken for tacos (yum)
  • Steel-cut oats
  • Yogurt
  • Real beans -- no more of that slop from cans! 

The yogurt is exceptional: for the price of a gallon of milk, you get nearly a gallon of yogurt, Greek, regular, whatever your favorite style is. And it's stupid easy. 

I have not had a crock pot in years. When I want slow cooking like that, I use a dutch oven now. The only thing I miss about the crock pot is the ability to plug it in and leave the house for the day. I would never have the oven going for an extended time unattended. So... the crock pot has that benefit for sure.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:58 PM, HardyG said:

Interesting....by chance, which model do you have? Instant Pot has come out with a multitude of models with different capabilities.

6 quart

I got the Instant Pot Duo 8-quart the other day, and I'm cooking with it for the first time.  Beef Bourguignon.

I hope I don't blow up the kitchen.

1 hour ago, FrankStar said:

I got the Instant Pot Duo 8-quart the other day, and I'm cooking with it for the first time.  Beef Bourguignon.

I hope I don't blow up the kitchen.

BBIP.jpg

On 2/23/2018 at 5:16 PM, SB59 said:

Recall on some models as of today! Starting fires I believe.

as of now they say only the ones sold in Walmart.