JTR

Hooks for Bonefish Flies

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I'm heading to the Keys in late April. I've got a bucket list of fish I want to catch and the top one is a bonefish on the fly rod. I've got tons of experience tying flies for stripers and use mainly Mustad 3407 or 34007. That said, I want the strongest, sharpest hooks that can hopefully be turned over with bead chain eyes. Thanks guys.

Jeff

I've caught bones on both 3407 and 34007 hooks.

Have also caught them on Gamakatsu SC15 and SL45's as well as Tiemco 811S hook.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

Have caught them on Mustad 3407s but really prefer the Gamakatsu SC15 - for one reason or another that's become my favorite hook for saltwater flies

Enjoy, you'll have a blast!

The strongest hook that resembles the Mustad 34007, I say take a look at the Gamakatsu SL11-3H hook.  It is rated 3x strong.  Note that this Gamakatsu hook size runs larger than the equivalent Mustad, that is a size 8 Gamakatsu SL11-3H is about the same size as the size 6 Mustad 34007.  Another bonefish hook that I like is the stainless steel Daiichi 2546.  These hooks run true to size with Mustad and stronger than the 34007 but will sometimes bend open under heavy drag pressure.  I like it because it is cheap and in most places, you can let a bonefish show it's stuff .... let it run.

Bonefish are really easy to hook so even a dull 3407 will catch them however, you will hook more with super sharp hooks.  Super sharp hooks make catching a fish that you didn't see or even feel easier.  Bonefish are pretty easy to catch if you can find an area with no boat traffic--fat chance now days.

On 11/01/2018 at 11:27 AM, JTR said:

Hi Guys,

I'm heading to the Keys in late April. I've got a bucket list of fish I want to catch and the top one is a bonefish on the fly rod. I've got tons of experience tying flies for stripers and use mainly Mustad 3407 or 34007. That said, I want the strongest, sharpest hooks that can hopefully be turned over with bead chain eyes. Thanks guys.

Jeff

Hello

Don't forget  to bring some unweighted flies for those calm days or skinny water...Like Bonefish Specials ...

I use both hooks. With a preference for the SC15.

Have a blast.

^..^

3407's are fine, just touch it up with a file periodically.  I use cheaper hooks down there because you never know when a little cuda's going to steal your fly.  Where in the Keys are you heading?

14 hours ago, Bonefish79 said:

3407's are fine, just touch it up with a file periodically.  I use cheaper hooks down there because you never know when a little cuda's going to steal your fly.  Where in the Keys are you heading?

I’m staying a little north of key largo in Florida city. I’ll be making day trips to the Keys and probably the Everglades as well. 

The 34007 will be more than adequate if that is what you have, if this is going to be something you will be doing a lot of then maybe an upgrade in the hook would be worth the expense, if it just a maybe one time thing use what you have.

There are  ton of hooks on the market but I would bet that since people started fishing bones on the fly more have been caught on the Mustad 34007 than any other hook. I would also say just about all commercially tied bonefish flies today are still using this hook.,

Edited by bonefishdick

Daiichi X510 XPOINT Steelhead hook. Super sharp 3x short and 3x strong ultra high carbon steel, #4 is the largest size they come in. You'll never drop a fish with these hooks, as a matter of fact you better carry a de-hooker with you.

SAM_0715.jpg

This is a weird thread. You guys are splitting hairs over bonefish hooks. Your winter is showing. The 34007 is fine, the SL113H is fine, the SL45 IS fine. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single hook that wouldn't be more than adequate for bonefish. I use a partridge f3 & f7, because it saves me the trouble of mashing barbs. I believe they're marketed as carp hooks. 

4 hours ago, Local66 said:

This is a weird thread. You guys are splitting hairs over bonefish hooks. Your winter is showing. The 34007 is fine, the SL113H is fine, the SL45 IS fine. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single hook that wouldn't be more than adequate for bonefish. I use a partridge f3 & f7, because it saves me the trouble of mashing barbs. I believe they're marketed as carp hooks. 

ha I chuckled

18 hours ago, bigredgolf said:

ha I chuckled

Just saying, I kinda understand 4 pages on tarpon hooks. But bonefish? You'd have to put some effort into tracking down a hook that wasn't more than adequate. And if you're targeting double didget fish in distant locales, you probably don't have to ask a striper forum for advice on hooks.