Antarctica

Assateague 10,000# limit

14 posts in this topic

So I picked up a used truck camper last fall and will be looking for a proper truck to haul it this spring.  Intended uses for this truck and camper are:

1) Family camping/excursions/hotel avoidance

2) Going to Assateague to surf fish/camp

3) Elk hunting base camp

4) General truck use

From the above list, you'll see that highway travel will be involved in a significant part of its use, and based on everything I've read about carrying a not-small truck camper, I'd like to get a dually, most likely a 99-03 ford 7.3 diesel crew cab.

I know that NPS now permits dually's on the beach.  They also state a 10,000# vehicle GVWR limit.  But I'm not aware of any semi-modern (i.e., of the era I listed above or newer) dually truck that doesn't have a GVWR over NPS's 10,000# limit.  Their policy seems to be in conflict.

Does anyone have any experience with how they handle this in practice?  I don't want to buy a truck that I can't use for one of its primary purposes and I also want to buy one that provides maximum safety while hauling a large truck camper over a lot of highway.  Yes, I could (and probably eventually will) call up NPS at Assateague but I'm not sure I wamt to just have the letter of the law read back to me when in practice things might be a little different.  Seems like I see plenty of threads on people using one tons and dually's at Assateague, and the dually provision seems to be aimed at accommodating those rigs.

Brent

Edited by Antarctica

Might be a better question for the Delmarva Forum.  I do know the 10,000 lb rule is right in the regulations but I am not sure if they check or it's enforced.

Can't say I've ever seen a dually on the Va side.

Edited by DerrickT

You are supposed to bring your registration card with you into the office when you get your sticker, and that has the weight on it...if the Ranger pays any attention...who knows.

Are you sure you need a duelly?

It really isn't tough 4 wheeling on the island if you have working 4wd, and air down. The big, heavy rigs washboard the track bad if they do not air down...don't be that guy...stop, and drop a couple more pounds if you feel the bounce.

20 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Good questions, all.  But are you sure you need a diesel? You might need to accept a gas engine for the sake of lighter weight.  

Hi BrianBM - 

I want a diesel for the longevity of the engine, gas mileage under load for long hauls and for hauling the camper in the mountain.

Yes, a gas motor would reduce the vehicle weight, but that doesn't change the GVWR, which is the question at hand.

Brent

16 hours ago, dena said:

You are supposed to bring your registration card with you into the office when you get your sticker, and that has the weight on it...if the Ranger pays any attention...who knows.

It really isn't tough 4 wheeling on the island if you have working 4wd, and air down. The big, heavy rigs washboard the track bad if they do not air down...don't be that guy...stop, and drop a couple more pounds if you feel the bounce.

Don't necessarily need a dually, but want one for the reasons indicated - stability/drift on the highway.  Not needed, and in fact would prefer not to have it on the sand, but its a big camper, and I want to preclude white knuckle 30 hour drives to Colorado with the kids onboard.

It occurs to me that deflating the rear tires on a dually might lead them to contact each other, bad, and especially bad when turning. 

Somebody here must have experience with this problem.  Gentlemen, what are the practical limits on deflating rear tires on a dually? 

48 mins ago, BrianBM said:

It occurs to me that deflating the rear tires on a dually might lead them to contact each other, bad, and especially bad when turning. 

Somebody here must have experience with this problem.  Gentlemen, what are the practical limits on deflating rear tires on a dually? 

Lots of discussion on this around the web.  In general, not a problem.  If it is, it can be overcome by putting a 1" spacer between the two wheels

Brent

23 hours ago, dena said:

Yea you're right but since I've just been renewing mine they haven't asked for the registration.  Guessing it's probably already on the computer.

FYI -

I wanted to follow up on this, but also wait until I had my pass ;-)

I called the NPS back in January and talked to a ranger (I think his name was Randy) about this issue (i.e., they allow duallies, but all duallies have are rated over 10,000, which is the regulation GVW limit).  He seemed generally surprised and said they had never even thought about that issue.  Also said that he thought an F350 was fine, but that they were really trying to keep the 450's and 550's off the beach (I'm not sure I understand that since they are basically the same trucks with stronger axles and frames).  He did say he would look into it and get back to me but never did.

Fast forward a few months, and I finally had my dually beach buggy together.  Went to AI, got a bullpen pass and no one batted an eye.  Had a blast.  So, while it doesn't seem to be an issue, the regs are not consistent.