drmevo

Inshore travel rod for BG 3000

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I would appreciate some advice on what inshore travel rod to pair with a new Daiwa BG 3000. The reason for the travel rod is that I'd like to keep this in my work car (Crosstrek hatchback) for those days when I'm near fishing spots during lunch or the end of the day. I would mainly be fishing tidal rivers around here, which can have strong current at times. I'd probably be throwing swim shads, SP minnows, slug-gos, etc.

I was thinking the Okuma Nomad looks pretty good because it comes with two tips, and I could possibly use the lighter one for LMB if I'm inland or on calmer water with light lures. The other one I had my eye on is the L.L. Bean travel rod which is appealing because it will pack smaller in the car but I'm not sure which rating would work best. I can't get my hands on either of these locally as far as I know. Any other suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

For a cheapest option check out the LL Bean travel rods, there are 3 different weights and ratings..... 

Or spend over $200 and get a St Croix Tidemaster travel rod

Tackle Direct has 7’ M and MH under their own brand for about $100. Friend has the MH and it’s a nice rod for the coin.  

OKUMA Nomad Inshore travel spin 7' M/MH...

OKUMA  Nomad Travel Surf 9' Medium...

I have both. Excellent  product for the money. Both around $ 200...

Depends on your taste.

^..^

Edited by snapper1

Thanks guys, I think I'm leaning towards the Nomad in M/MH. It has a limited lifetime warranty, too - probably not as good as Bean's but still better than most. 

I think OKUMA came out with a new one last year called the Inshore Express... Just one tip though , MH, and the reel seat is Fudji instead of ALPS...I think you can find it for around 140$...

A friend of mine has it, and it's great.

Good luck

^,,^

Plenty of choices, depends on how and what you're fishing for.  I have used BPS Ocean Masters and St Croix Tidemasters and loved them all. I always buy a rod first, one that will suit my needs, then a reel that suits the rod and line I expect to use. 

1 hour ago, Bogey said:

Plenty of choices, depends on how and what you're fishing for.  I have used BPS Ocean Masters and St Croix Tidemasters and loved them all. I always buy a rod first, one that will suit my needs, then a reel that suits the rod and line I expect to use. 

Realistically mostly schoolie-sized stripers but it needs to be able to handle larger fish if I happen to hook up.  I might also use it to catch bait.

59 mins ago, gman1253 said:

Define travel rod?

Fenwick has the 2 piece 7' HMX & HMG rods which are pretty highly reviewed. 

Basically I want it to pack up so I can keep it out of the way in my work car, and easily toss it back into my personal car if I want to use it at night or on the weekends. I often pack the car to the brim with equipment I'm installing and I also just don't want it to be visible that there's a rod in there (not that I would fish while I'm supposed to be working...). 

Another question - I'm not sure if I should spool with 20 or 30lb braid. I'm was leaning towards 20 as it seems more standard for this type of setup but the possibility of rocks and current has me thinking 30. 

On 1/11/2018 at 5:18 PM, drmevo said:

Thanks guys, I think I'm leaning towards the Nomad in M/MH. It has a limited lifetime warranty, too - probably not as good as Bean's but still better than most. 

Okuma has an excellent customer service department, they will take care of you if anything happens.

However, having used the ML/M 7ft Nomad Inshore a good bit, you won't be needed them to replace a damaged rod anytime soon. The Okuma Nomads are tough as nails, light, and sensitive. The components, such as the guides and reels seats, on Okuma rods are also top notch, no real risk of failure there. 

5 hours ago, drmevo said:

Basically I want it to pack up so I can keep it out of the way in my work car, and easily toss it back into my personal car if I want to use it at night or on the weekends. I often pack the car to the brim with equipment I'm installing and I also just don't want it to be visible that there's a rod in there (not that I would fish while I'm supposed to be working...). 

Another question - I'm not sure if I should spool with 20 or 30lb braid. I'm was leaning towards 20 as it seems more standard for this type of setup but the possibility of rocks and current has me thinking 30. 

I would go with the 20lb braid, better casting distance then 30lb, less resistance when fishing current, and better line capacity.

10 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I would go with the 20lb braid, better casting distance then 30lb, less resistance when fishing current, and better line capacity.

Thanks, I think that settles it. Going to go with the Okuma MH/M and 20lb J-braid. 

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

Thanks, I think that settles it. Going to go with the Okuma MH/M and 20lb J-braid. 

You won’t be disappointed. The 2 tips make for a very versatile setup. The quality of the rod and rod components is superb, and the case the rod comes with is very convenient. I love mine and put it in my check in bag whenever I go on vacaction