Fishy4335

Detaching an Epoxied 2 Peice Rod!

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

getting it apart is one thing. cleaning it up so it can function as a 2 pc again is another. if you dont have the male and female ferrules cleaned out the 2 pieces may not seat together properly and you will end up 2 with a 3 pc rod

When you the bend rod at the joint does it click at all if so maybe a weak bond and heating could do it you should heat a little and have two guys pulling in opposite directions  if you get some separation pour some acetone in the joint

Put a large rubber band on one section,  a fix it the other end of band to a chair , then you pull the free section to put force the joint , heat the joint an roll the section a little to spread the heat on the joint ,  PS put a towel on the section that has the rubber band on to slow down the separation force / speed  it can fly ,  ,[ go slowly don't want to burn the blank & do damage ]  good luck  

[no large rubber band then use lots of smaller bands you judge on the force needed,]

Edited by jsid6g

26 mins ago, 3Beard said:

Unless this is a metal ferrule, can someone please explain how it's possible to apply enough heat to soften epoxy without  destroying the blank?

Carefully but probably not real feasible. Depending on the epoxy, sometimes I have to heat it to the point of smoking before it will weaken. 

Unless it was a junk rod or a rod I really didn't care about I wouldn't try it. 

Edited by PhilCVG

it has to be done slowly, the heat required to soften the epoxy is not that great. the issue is you are applying the heat to the exterior so you have to do it very slowly to evenly heat up the exterior right thru to the epoxy without getting the exterior to hot and destroying it. if you have never dome anything like this with a rod before you can definitely destroy it.

heat is not a friend to epoxy,  yes some will require a lot of heat to break it down, [soften ] but it is the only way  to separate the 2 sections, ,I know of,   an some will never come apart, as smoke I never had it happen to me an I used a heat gun the 2 times I did it ,   as I pointed go slow, if that is what you want to do    

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I’d keep as is and deal with it as a one pc. 

No way way am I taking a heat gun to a blank like that. 

Well Then, it's a stellar 1 peice rod and if someone wants it then they buy 1 peice! Thanks all for input!

2 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

it has to be done slowly, the heat required to soften the epoxy is not that great. the issue is you are applying the heat to the exterior so you have to do it very slowly to evenly heat up the exterior right thru to the epoxy without getting the exterior to hot and destroying it. if you have never dome anything like this with a rod before you can definitely destroy it.

Makes sense and I'd def destroy it!