Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maruthu

Danger lurking beneath

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I just got back from my fishing trip from a place that I frequent.

I have been wading this spot rarely and never had any issues. However, I was out fishing this time during low tide in the puddles (it looks like a reef with a lot of colourful fish). I was surprised with what I caught and I think I will never wade these waters again.... First I thought they were Stonefish, but later I came to know that they were Scorpionfish and that was not any relief. Me and my friend caught about six of these fish in about an hour.... Fishing was alright, but I missed a lot of strikes from Mangrove Jacks and Barramundi with most of the strikes on a zoom softplastic rigged weedless with a ball jighead. I might try to put an assist hook next time to increase the hook set ratio and report back.

I am heading to an island with a lot of reef in a couple of weeks and was originally planning to wade the flats, but now I don't think I can do that after knowing what's lurking down there. Is there anything I could do like wearing boots and wade, or is it something that is not worth risking? Any advice on this would be great! I'll post the report from the upcoming trip if it goes well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TODDvz9QEVY

Thank you!

Maruthu

Have you ever seen what stonefish can do? If they’re the same ones that you’re talking about those things themselves are incredibly dangerous and can kill you. If you step on one the spine will go through even boots and squirt a large amount of venom into you. Scorpionfish are also very dangerous and venomous but the stone fish are almost impossible to see. 

20 hours ago, Big Will said:

Have you ever seen what stonefish can do? If they’re the same ones that you’re talking about those things themselves are incredibly dangerous and can kill you. If you step on one the spine will go through even boots and squirt a large amount of venom into you. Scorpionfish are also very dangerous and venomous but the stone fish are almost impossible to see. 

Thank you Big Will for the response!

So, I guess the best thing would be to just not wade in those waters.

I'll stick to the shore then. Might have to fish micro jigs for some distance.

Maruthu