Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cashews121

Redfin Again

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So I have a 5 inch model..and I put #2 VMC’s on it..not 2/0.. they look like they are about right for the plug... Thoughts?

29E35BB5-10AB-4FBF-B388-51CFFE37E06A.jpegIt also. Weighs a bit over 1/2 oz,,but I am undecided about loading it with shot...I don’t know if It’s the best thing to do..do I always want a noisy plug? Maybe liquids are a better choice?

D222519E-4C0F-4858-ACEC-C73C69DEB6B4.jpeg

Edited by cashews121

I have loaded some of my 7" redfins with 10cc of water and it seems pretty good.

However, if I am fishing really slow keping the plug on the top of the water when it is calm, I would fish redfins that are not loaded.

Good luck!

size 2 is correct, use a short shank, I much prefer retaining all three hooks. As to load;  most overload the plug killing the action in an attempt to cast to Europe.  95% of the Bass you'll catch are 1/3-1/2 way in, they track and follow the pray then ambush particularly on a stop/pause.  Try using a light oil like 3in1. Use only a small amount, just enough to get it to cast tail first stopping flutter

5 hours ago, XBMX said:

size 2 is correct, use a short shank, I much prefer retaining all three hooks. As to load;  most overload the plug killing the action in an attempt to cast to Europe.  95% of the Bass you'll catch are 1/3-1/2 way in, they track and follow the pray then ambush particularly on a stop/pause.  Try using a light oil like 3in1. Use only a small amount, just enough to get it to cast tail first stopping flutter

A portion of what you say is reasonable,but All 3 hooks? mmmm that sounds like a really messy idea/

29 mins ago, cashews121 said:

A portion of what you say is reasonable,but All 3 hooks? mmmm that sounds like a really messy idea/

Crush all barbs and make it a practice to use a hook file. And yes you'll draw blood from time to time but sure as $hit, your catch rate will improve.

6 mins ago, XBMX said:

Crush all barbs and make it a practice to use a hook file. And yes you'll draw blood from time to time but sure as $hit, your catch rate will improve.

ill pass

I think I use 1's one the 5" that I fish, only 2. I see zero reason for 3 hooks on that plug. 

I rarely fish redfins unloaded and load all of mine with bb's or shot. 7 bb's in the 5" and 15" in the 7", shot to the same weight. I see no point in going lighter but will go a lot heavier to suit conditions/needs.

13 hours ago, XBMX said:

I agree on the size and number of hooks. I have always preferred this plug setup this way. A distant but effective second to this way would be both belly hooks and a very sparse short flag off the back. I gave up liquid loads a long time ago.  Between the leaking and the evaporation  it drove me nuts. I still prefer shot and a weight of .7 oz without hooks for all around use.