billthe5th

Feeding Dogfish to my dogs?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I've fed them lots of tuna, bluefish, porgy, striper, and sea robin, and they seem to do very well with it.

I was going to try some dogfish. I figured they're somewhat different from the other ones biologically, but didn't think it would be a problem for animals that eat carpeting, used tissues, and nerf darts, and pass them all without a problem. 

Any thoughts?

The only problem I've heard about with dogfish is that they spoil very easily and very quickly. I've heard they're delicious, but need to be bled, filleted, and iced almost immediately upon catching them. I'd love to try it sometime, but never have a cooler with ice and good fillet knife on me at the same time.

1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

The only problem I've heard about with dogfish is that they spoil very easily and very quickly. I've heard they're delicious, but need to be bled, filleted, and iced almost immediately upon catching them. I'd love to try it sometime, but never have a cooler with ice and good fillet knife on me at the same time.

Delicious is an overstatement. You can eat it. You can also eat Taco Bell, though.

5 hours ago, Kima said:

Delicious is an overstatement. You can eat it. You can also eat Taco Bell, though.

I wouldn't hesitate to feed dogfish to the family pet but the work involved in dragging it home, cleaning and cooking it just seems too involved to get involved.  .

As for the Taco Bell comparison, I'm embarrassed to admit, I like Taco Bell,  mystery meat served out of a squeeze tube. 

Shouldn't be an issue for your dogs. I never filletted or cleaned a dogfish for the table, so I don't know how difficult the prep is. I think it would make good use out of the "endangered" dogfish.

I had a British girlfriend for a few years. 

We would go over there once or twice a year to see her family. We would always stop in at the fish and chips places all around London. Didn't know what I was eating the first time, but it was amazing. Nice flaky firm meat.  turns out the traditional shops still use dogfish. 

Might want to just go through the bleeding, cleaning routine fast if you try it out, then throw it on ice. Longer the wait, the faster it will smell of ammonia. 

We feed out Lab freshwater trout, Bluefish and Striped Bass ( usually the head and rack ... wife cooks and cleans them for him) but this past Fall my wife caught an Albie that didn't  survive. I bled it immediately and we pretty much left shortly after. My wife boiled it and sorted out the better pieces for him ... he got sick the next day with vomiting and diarrhea. Had to take him to the vet ... not sure if it was the fish or not but never again.

Its quite good to eat. You and Fido wont have to worry about bones. Now if you could only get him to eat false albacore, cats walk away from it!

Are you kidding me?  They are eaten daily in Europe and in the Mediterranean they have been wiped out because they are so sought after for food. Just make sure to call it a "cat-fish" in front of your dog so he doesn't get offended.

Its all relative. There used to be so many lobsters on the east coast that it was considered cruel to feed your slaves more than three lobsters meals a week (actual law was passed saying so). Now its an expensive dinner. 

There were so many oysters around manhattan that a plate of oysters was free at bars.... now its an upper class food for 3 bucks a piece....

Its human nature.