Cockeyed

BEAST or no beast

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

OK, here's the deal.  I've fish several days over the last month or so and have caught some very nice rockfish (up to 46"), but it hasn't been easy.  On some days, my buddies using larger swim baits are catching quite a bit more fish then I have been even when the fish are up high in the water column.  I typically use a hollow style BTD (bunker colors) around 6" or so.  It works OK (not great), but the bait has been a few inches bigger...like 8-10".  I know about match the hatch....and have seen it come in play on more than one occasion.  Just don't know if it will make that much of a difference or if the fish are just that much smarter (hence why they are 45+")?  So, when BIG fish are dialed in on bigger bait, should I tie up some bigger flies..like 8-10"?  

Edited by Cockeyed

Absolutely.

Do a search here and you'l find tons of flies 10" or bigger, some hollow body & some flat wing.

2 years ago there was a situation where Stripers were keying on 10"+ bunker in shallow water (2 - 5 feet deep).  Never thought I'd catch Stripers on big flies in shallow water over sand in bright daylight, but after a few days of no interest from all the fish I was seeing, I grabbed a 10 weight and some big flies and started hooking up.

So yes.

On 13.1.2018 at 1:13 PM, jalthoff said:

Absolutely.

Do a search here and you'l find tons of flies 10" or bigger, some hollow body & some flat wing.

2 years ago there was a situation where Stripers were keying on 10"+ bunker in shallow water (2 - 5 feet deep).  Never thought I'd catch Stripers on big flies in shallow water over sand in bright daylight, but after a few days of no interest from all the fish I was seeing, I grabbed a 10 weight and some big flies and started hooking up.

So yes.

I've had some similar stuff happen. Lots of fish in shallow water in broad daylight and only a few bites with regular sized flies like basic sand eel flatwings. Tie in a 9" Mac pattern and it was game on!

On 11.1.2018 at 6:12 AM, Cockeyed said:

OK, here's the deal.  I've fish several days over the last month or so and have caught some very nice rockfish (up to 46"), but it hasn't been easy.  On some days, my buddies using larger swim baits are catching quite a bit more fish then I have been even when the fish are up high in the water column.  I typically use a hollow style BTD (bunker colors) around 6" or so.  It works OK (not great), but the bait has been a few inches bigger...like 8-10".  I know about match the hatch....and have seen it come in play on more than one occasion.  Just don't know if it will make that much of a difference or if the fish are just that much smarter (hence why they are 45+")?  So, when BIG fish are dialed in on bigger bait, should I tie up some bigger flies..like 8-10"?  

It can make a real difference. Not everytime, but at times going big really pays off. Big Hollow's or Beast flies are my choice.

18 mins ago, jabster said:

It can make a real difference. Not everytime, but at times going big really pays off. Big Hollow's or Beast flies are my choice.

Great SBS, thanks for posting.

Question on fishing Big flies / Beasts tied with natural materials, since deer hair will eventually absorb water do you find them more difficult to cast as they probably get considerably heavier the longer you fish them?

Do you think synthetic materials are a good choice for some of these jumbo these?

HT

21 mins ago, HillTop said:

Great SBS, thanks for posting.

Question on fishing Big flies / Beasts tied with natural materials, since deer hair will eventually absorb water do you find them more difficult to cast as they probably get considerably heavier the longer you fish them?

Do you think synthetic materials are a good choice for some of these jumbo these?

HT

Nothing cast like bucktail and ostrich. I tie and use synthetics also, but when it comes to the easiest casting patterns, you can't do better than bucktail, ostrich and some hackle. The problem with big synthetics is usually the wind resistance. Not a problem if you can cast with the wind on your side, but casting big wind resistant flies in to the wind is really hard.

Edited by jabster

50 mins ago, jabster said:

Nothing cast like bucktail and ostrich. I tie and use synthetics also, but when it comes to the easiest casting patterns, you can't do better than bucktail, ostrich and some hackle. The problem with big synthetics is usually the wind resistance. Not a problem if you can cast with the wind on your side, but casting big wind resistant flies in to the wind is really hard.

Thanks,    Is that because naturals "wet down" to a smaller profile while aerialized, less wind resistance and conversely synthetics, since they don't hold water, have a larger profile and thus more wind resistant?    That would make sense if that's the case.

HT

17 mins ago, HillTop said:

Thanks,    Is that because naturals "wet down" to a smaller profile while aerialized, less wind resistance and conversely synthetics, since they don't hold water, have a larger profile and thus more wind resistant?    That would make sense if that's the case.

HT

That's one part of it, yes. That and naturals when tied correctly, without excess bulk soak in just the perfect amount of weight to actually help the fly cast easier. Of course you can always add weight to your synthetics or tie some soft material in them that soak in water, but they never really end up being the same then a well tied fly that uses bucktail, ostrich and hackle. Synthetics have many great properties in them, but as said, if I had to choose a big Beast fly or a big synthetic the same size and had to do a lot of casting in to the wind, I would always choose the Beast.

Appreciate the insight jabster.  Those tube extensions are a great idea...seem a bit easier then dealing with mono.  I just need some bigger hooks (and suggestions?), then I'll be ready for the 50 lbs class fish!! 

Edited by Cockeyed

Size is definitely important, however, when the large schools of 30lb plus were hammering adult bunker on the Jersey shore, I noticed that motion was key in getting their interest.  Add a large popper head or slider head in front of the fly create surface commotion.

Where are you fishing right now?  Chesapeake?