DomNJ

One piece or two?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Hi

Ive been scouring the forum for advice on a rod.  I'm a total noob to surf fishing and one thing I can't get my head around is whether I should look for a 1 or 2 piece rod.

I'm planning to surf off the beach and some jetties (Jersey shore) and best I can tell from all I'm reading I think I should be looking for something in the 10 to 11 foot range that's moderate/fast and can throw a lure that's up to 4 or 5 oz.  What isn't as clear is whether I should get a 1 or 2 piece rod, or if it matters.  Breaking it down for transporting doesn't much matter as it's only a couple blocks walk to the beach from my summer place. 

Also, for those who fish NJ beaches/jetties is there anything else I should be looking for?  

I'm hoping to come across something in the BST over the coming weeks and I want to know what I should be targeting 

Thanks

Your gonna have a lot more options in 2 pc. For the most part I find it does not matter. Transportation is easier with a 2pc but the top half does twist every now and then although it takes 5 seconds to realign it. The only time I want a one piece is pencil popping. I find the twist happens so often when using pencils its every cast I have to realign. 

There's a real nice fiberstar raptor in the bsc for a great price. Sounds like it might be what your looking for. I have one and its a fantastic rod.

If a rod is rated up to 5 or 6oz it will most likely be comfortable throwing 3 to 4oz. A two piece is much handier and it's not just about transporting it. Think about bringing a 10-11ft rod indoors, even a 70-30 two piece split is awkward, you really have to pay attention to the tip.

Thanks, that’s helpful.

There just a crazy amount of options and it’s a bit overwhelming. Part of me thinks it all doesn’t matter that much since I’m just starting out. But at the same time I figure I may as well try to get something that will last me a while, so I don’t want to screw up too bad :)

good points above

2pc is nice for transport

1pc more continuous action/bend and structurally sound

-  with todays quality builds and 70/30 splits, the difference is negligible to me

- but im sure higher end users feel stuff in the rod that i dont

ive had very minimal twist / loose ferrule issues even with pencils, except for budget rods when i started out

- then again, checking the joint every 5th cast or so has become muscle memory - just like running my fingers down the leader and sweeping weed off the hook is routine

- at night everything is tactile / feel, so my hands kinda run through the routine and each cast and retrieve is deliberate

i would say dont get overwhelmed by options, experimentation and finding what you like for specific applications will come with time and experience

find your price point, general length and general lure wt range - look for a sale / good value and give it a try

a lot of the expert discussions on here about guide lay outs, actions, reel seat distances is guys that have fished for decades, have arsenals of rods for very specific uses, and either build rods or have customs built to their specs

- you can go cast Super Strikes and catch fish with any half decent rod out there

to summarize, for versatility and convenience plus available options and barely perceptible performance loss, i vote 2pc

i have 1pc 10 ftrs and storage, transport becomes a consideration all the time - roof racks, how to lock / secure it, wall / ceiling hangers at home, watch out for the screen door, dont hit the ceiling fan when youre spooling the reel, etc etc

i have the SU1208 and 1209 in 10' 1pc they are good if you can travel with one piece, these are nice rods.

also have the century 2pc rod, i use them when traveling.

i have fused them together for guys to make one piece.

you could find a 2pc and if its turning, get it fused together, 

look for something rated to 6 to throw your 5oz..

there are a few rated at 5 that will work, but be carefull

sure thing

beach and jetty as you mentioned, a 9ftr may do you as well as a 10-11

- depends how light you like to travel, how tight / confined space is, and if you need to steer fish around obstructions

- some guys can throw well balanced 9ftrs just as far as most of us with 10-11, but in general id say if casting distance is a factor which it might be sometimes on a NJ beach esp. daytime, the longer rod helps

youre rating of 4-5oz seems a bit high unless youre gonna focus on throwing heavy plugs, big eels, heavy jigheads, or weight+bait

even bigger pencils are usually around 3oz

Super Strikes are generally 2 3/8oz and SPs, magdarters, redfins etc are 2oz or less even loaded

the metal tins youd throw from a beach are less than 2oz and plastics like sluggos, hogys etc are lighter still, plus bucktails from a beach will be under 2oz unless its rough

depending on what you plan on throwing - a rod rating that tops out at 3-4oz, like a 1-4 or 3/4 - 3, will probably balance better, load easier, and be more enjoyable for most general fishing, esp. off the beach

your mileage may vary, just throwing it out there

good luck!

I use a TFO 10’6” 2-6oz and can sling an sp pretty good or throw a 4/5oz jig and anything in between. Good warranty too if that is of concern. Its 70/30. 

Less expensive would be Airwave Elite (also 70/30), which I haven’t used, but hear good things about. Have handled them and they are light as a feather. Short term warranty. 

But...if it wasn’t for having to transport I’d get a 1 piece. 

Thanks. Will take a look at TFO

Have been looking at the 10'6" St Croix Mojo Surf based on some other threads here. That's a 2 piece. There's also a couple of rods in the BST right now that probably would give better bang for the buck.  If they are still there when I get to a week registered on the site I may make an offer.