Fishin Technician

Knowledge needed on the original Fenwick HMG fly rods

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I just found a pair of Fenwick HMG # GFF858 fly rods, both have the original sock and tube. These are generation 1 graphite. One blank is green in color and the other is brown. Any help would be appreciated

Regards,

FT .

Good morning FT

Does it say " Iron Feather" on the sticks ?

If so, like DrBob says, they are very powerful, but on the heavy side.

Cheers

M

Snapper1,

No these are not the newer  Iron Feather. I am assuming that these are the original HMG's. The green rod according to the serial number is 1973 and the brown rod is 1976 -1977

Thanks for the reply

FT

I guess what I was asking are the original Don Green fly rods over priced generation 1 collector rods ? $400-$500 . I was  trying to put together a throw in the truck beater rod for an 8 wt. and I came across these in the back of a closet.

FT

Look under the sold listings on the big auction site to see what others are paying.  Tons of vintage glass and vintage graphite Fenwicks listed as well as lots of older HMG blanks that just never got wrapped.  I think you would be fine putting it in the truck.

Kind of love the old HMGs.  I learned to cast on one, as did many.  One of the first decent graphite rods.  Retailed for $249 when new which seemed like a small fortune.  They could handle a rated WF floater as well as shooting heads or sinking lines 2 up from rated because they were short and rather powerful.   But I think many were broken in the process of teaching goons like me.  They are now scarcely seen for sale.  Prices are inflated due to nostalgia.  

A Fenwick brownie (two piece glass rod, one with glass to glass ferrule) is the better purchase anyway - they are tough and refuse to die.  $75  maybe more if it still has the original tube and sleeve.  Great rod for the truck.  These rods are loved out West for their ability to flex fully when dealing with unruly fish and for their durability.

those US-made HMGs aren't very valuable but they are still great rods IMO.. have a 7wt brown one from the 70s, still fish it. Not a high-powered cannon for distance casting but fine for fishing. 

Edit - Please don't post links to other sites ~ Sudsy

Edited by Sudsy

This thread got me looking in my blanks rack - I have one of these as well, a Fenwick HMG gfl 90 6f

From what I've gathered looking around out there, the going rate for these blanks seems to be around $40 for a blank - with the specific exception of the 5 weight which goes for closer to $70