albacized

For our UK members - UK coffee

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Last year, during a trip to visit our daughter in the UK, we discovered that the English have a different sense to what coffee is...I didn't mind because I liked it...however my wife simply wanted what we have here in the US, which is to have what starts off as ordinary black coffee, then add milk or cream and sugar...the places we went to (Costa,  Cafe Nero...and even Starbucks) only had stuff similar to what we think of as a latte or cappuccino...do they have our (US) style of coffee over there and if so, is it called something else? And no, what they call 'Americano' is not it

Hey Albie,

yes sadly, the English have fallen to the 'latte' disease. I noticed at Xmas how many folks there were wandering around clutching tall coffees :(

if you went into any small café or pub - they'd give you want you want, but not the coffee stores. in the coffee stores you have to ask for black coffee and then go and put your own milk, cream or sugar in.

coffee used to be 75p to a Pound two years ago, now they are nearly three quid. tossers.

and you're right - an Americano here, France, Italy etc is just a milky coffee, but in these chains it has shots of expresso for some reason I can't fathom.

Just returned and over twelve days I had one decent cup of coffee. They have the tea thing down perfect but suck at the coffee.

37 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

Just returned and over twelve days I had one decent cup of coffee. They have the tea thing down perfect but suck at the coffee.

yeah. the only time I drink coffee there is at home.