BrianBM

Seal meat

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I think it's still legal for some Inuit and Native American groups in Canada and Alaska to take pinnipeds for food. Has anyone here managed to sample the stuff? What do any of the pinnipeds taste like?

"It's a different meat, but if you like different, wild meat, you'll like seal." With a taste that is equal parts gamey and fishy, with a texture comparable with veal and duck, seal is a very dark meat which is surprisingly low in fat and rich in iron and Omega-3.

15 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I think it's still legal for some Inuit and Native American groups in Canada and Alaska to take pinnipeds for food. Has anyone here managed to sample the stuff? What do any of the pinnipeds taste like?

did you watch "life below zero " last night ?

the guy ate the fat raw, and like turtles, the meat is black.

interestingly, they also had a show on last night - " wild Scotland" - due to the declines in herring and salmon, seal's up there are turning cannibals.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/624256/scientists-investigate-cannibal-grey-seals

5 mins ago, Cfinnely68 said:

Seal probably tastes like pot and doritos... plus I don't think he goes outside much so probably very fatty. 

Probably a very strong ammonia taste from the piss stained undies he never changes in his Moms basement.

2 hours ago, Aquacide said:

did you watch "life below zero " last night ?

the guy ate the fat raw, and like turtles, the meat is black.

interestingly, they also had a show on last night - " wild Scotland" - due to the declines in herring and salmon, seal's up there are turning cannibals.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/624256/scientists-investigate-cannibal-grey-seals

What meat is black? The only black meat you have inside of you has a black man attached to it.

Oh, Lord.  :dismay:      This was initially titled "Eating Seal" but I put that aside, knowing what it would elicit.  But it caught up with me anyway.

Missed "Life below Zero,"  but I'll take a look at that newspaper piece.