Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Baby seabass fly?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Wandered into J&H yesterday, en route home after buying my NYS beach driving permit. They carry some flies, all SW stuff; some could see use on a flyrod, more of them are really teasers.  One of these was "baby seabass fly," a pretty gaudy thing in implausible colors. Does anyone here tie, fish or use a baby seabass?  I've never seen or heard of one. 

Boy, there sure is a lot of variation seen if you google "juvenile seabass". I guess I would just tie on a pink/white clouser and call it good. But, I guess that's what I would do anyhow. It also works if you want to catch a seabass.

19  new species for the Pink Wonder.JPG

Edited by Steve Schullery

Yup, the images are all over the place, and I don't trust the color renditions.  If the itch to tie one overcomes me, any dark chunky fly with a bit of blue flash will do. 

I've tyed and caught on a baby blackfish fly around jettys. Since l no longer jetty fish that much (if at all lately) l don't carry this fly. With the current new techniques a sea bass pattern or blackfish should be possible.

Oh, I'm sure it is.  Something bulky, that breathes well, is probably 90% of what's needed.  The rest is mere make-work for whomever ties it.  That's fine, vise time is playtime. 

Looks good by me.  

I assume midget seabass have the same orientation towards structure as the ones I want, late in the year, for chowder. You'll presumably be fishing these with a sinking line?  Near rockpiles and so on?  

i fish that color combo all over tampabay! they seem to like like black an purple everywhere but yes id fish these on a sinking line over a wreck or bridge pilings, it was more of a light bulb moment as to why fish hanging on bridges here might be keyed in on that darker color since we have the same seabass !