Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

how does this valve work??

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

there is a threaded brass bolt (was hex but getting stripped) into the bottom of this valve. when opened water from the baseboard comes out.  the part on top has a threaded bolt with another smaller threaded bolt inside of it.  that is teh part that i don't understand. it is some kind of purge valve.  this is important to me because when i finished the basement i inadvertently boxed in the only bleeder valve in the system (that i could find anyway)  fast forward a couple years and i the circulating pump on furnace craps out. i change it and have air in the line but no way to bleed. i open the bottom valve here and water comes out and some air sometimes but not all since it is not the highest point in the system. 

IMG_0850.JPG

Never seen that one. Usually you feed water around, throttle a valve and bleed out the air in a bucket with a short hose.

Edited by cheech

5 hours ago, BrianZ said:

there is a threaded brass bolt (was hex but getting stripped) into the bottom of this valve. when opened water from the baseboard comes out.  the part on top has a threaded bolt with another smaller threaded bolt inside of it.  that is teh part that i don't understand. it is some kind of purge valve.  this is important to me because when i finished the basement i inadvertently boxed in the only bleeder valve in the system (that i could find anyway)  fast forward a couple years and i the circulating pump on furnace craps out. i change it and have air in the line but no way to bleed. i open the bottom valve here and water comes out and some air sometimes but not all since it is not the highest point in the system. 

IMG_0850.JPG

It's a purge T. I don't know that brand, it could be Raven. Most of us mechanics don't use em because they strip on top. That brass plug could be a clean out or bleeder that is full of crud. The top is the shut off. Normally a quarter turn.

The purge T can go to the return side of the boiler or it's off a mono flow t system. Can't tell to you show us where that 3/4 line goes into. In any event, if you don't like that gay purge t, you can always cut it out and put a 3/4 ball valve, 3/4 x 1/2 mechanical tee, and a simple 1/2" boiler draw off to make a purge station.

Photo below shows a Watts Brand Purge T, second photo shows ball valves and draw off on the return side of the boiler. The black Pump (007) can be on the return or supply side of the boiler, but your Purge station will always be as close as possible to the return side of the boiler.

purge T.jpg

purge.jpg

Edited by The Riddler