Fishy4335

Reel seat placement!

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have a factory built century nor'easter.... the bottom half is naked and I am going to build it up.... do I need to place the reel seat a certain way (in relation to spline) or does that just matter for the top half? Thanks

Fishy,

I found myself with the same dilemma with a 60/40 split nor'easter.  No good way to establish the spline with just using the butt section.

I settled on the following:

Establish the spline with the tip section and mark.  Join the butt section and check.  If the tip section spline has shifted then rotate the butt section to bring it back in alignment.

As a side note:

I have always used the term "spline" as it is a tool commonly used in traditional boat building.  A rectangular strip of straight grain wood used to establish a fair curve (shear line, exp).  As it is rectangular in section there has an easy bend or a harder bend based on need.  To me splining a rod is the same process.  :howdy:

2 mins ago, Wthompson373 said:

Build it 37.5 degrees off the spline for maximum casting.

it only matters as much as you make it matter.

You and I both know that 45 degrees works better for surf rods. 37.5 is for boat rods. 

More important than any of this irrelevant spine nonsense is the orientation of the reel seat: unlike spine, this can make a difference. Try it both ways: with the nut toward the top, and then reversed. Install the reel seat whichever way puts your fingers away from the nut: this will depend on how you hold the reel. But it's worth doing. 

You have to be very careful here. If the splines for each half are directly opposite it was cause a singularity to from when the rod is flexed. This will result in a blackhole and the world will end.  

Belmo brings up a good point but I generally have the threads down for rods fished in the Southern Hemisphere and up for the northern. 

Hope this helps. 

there is a lot of people out here that don't build on the spline they build on the straight's part , so what do you do ?? 

just food for thought , 

reining is for horses - use the simple rotating the butt on a table or floor w/the tip in yr palm, blank should jump to the spline.

May not work for the butt section & unless there is a huge taper in the blank, align the reel set w/ the tip top.

Also tape the sections, so neither twist during wrapping, etc.