These Carolina gators

Rate this topic

Billybob

You guys see them gators in Carolina, and how they deal with the ice?

Pretty ingenius especially when you consider where they're from, huh?

The alligators seem to instinctively know when the water is about to freeze, says Howard, who is general manager of the park. They respond by sticking their nose above the surface at just the right moment, allowing the water to freeze around them.

Alligators then enter "a state of brumation, like hibernating." Alligators can regulate their body temperature in all sorts of weather, park officials said, and can essentially remain frozen in place until the ice melts.

Nope, never knew that!

I don’t think the ice around here got that get up to really bother, but it is the first time I’ve ever seen ice on salt water before. And from now on could you refer to them as swamp kittens, please.

Alligator just sounds so mean...

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

That are frogs that do that, too. Not so much sticking their noses out, they just freeze completely every winter and thaw in the spring. Reptiles are pretty cool. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

2 mins ago, Billybob said:

I wonder if Red ever enters a state of brumation, like when he eats too many wings or somethin?

No!!!!

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..