Dan_evan1

ODM NEX 1 11’ 2-6 Information Request

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Starting this thread to see if I can get any input from guys that have owned/own/thrown an ODM NEX1 11’ 2-6oz one piece. After talking with a few rod builders, it sounds like it would suit my needs nicely for throwing plugs in the ditch and surrounding Cape Beaches.

I’m a big fan of moderate action rods, and from what I’ve gathered the NEX1 has a nice flexible tip for throwing pencils and plugs, while still having the ability to bend right down to around the stripper guide. I’m also keen on hearing about how the NEX1 loads during the cast as well as what I’ve heard in a regards to fish fighting (ability to lock up about halfway down the blank giving it solid power whereas something like a 1321-m will bend through the reel seat.)

And finally, how would the NEX1 fare beside the current popular Mod-Fast/Fast action (i.e. SS1327 which I currently own) canal plugging rods of similar size and rating when it comes to reaching the fish when necessary?

Thanks in advance for any input!

P.S.

If you’ve only used the 10’ 1-5oz gladly chime in! All input is welcome!

I owned the 10' 1-5... very nice rod!! I would say mod- moderate fast action.... definitely not moderate like a century s2! Bends down through the stripper guide under load..... pretty much locks up there as the backbone takes over!  If you have a small fish on you can ski it in...... very strong rod! I am a century fan though

i have both the 3/4 -4 and the 2-6... believe it or not my 2-6 was throwing sp minnows as well as the 3/4-4. all around i like the 2-6 the best, seems to be more versatile. both they are both great rods and havent left the house with both of them since i got them.  btw...bob at grumpys built them beautifully for me

I use a NEX1 3/4-4, lightly trimmed from the but to around 10'8"

My typical use is ocean sand beach followed by inlet. If I were to focus on all inlet with the current, I would have gone with the 2-6.

It is moderate action with a sensitive tip and BENDS with fish of all sizes. Lots of fun. Throws everything well, but as a moderate rod, I can outcast it with my faster action Fiberstar Marauder when throwing a streamline pencil (just more work).

It is very easy to cast when you realize the rod does the work. I find it also handles heavier plugs fine. 

I have not caught any monsters with it yet, but with mid size fish, it has a great bend, but then has the backbone when you need it.

I really enjoy this rod. I am having the 9' built next.

I build a lot of these. The 11' 2-6 as has been stated is a good all around moderate rod. An awful lot of power. I used this rod in Montauk this fall and never ever felt under gunned.. It will do what you need at the canal. You have the century if you need a stick strictly for jigging..

Edited by redhawk19

4 hours ago, redhawk19 said:

I build a lot of these. The 11' 2-6 as has been stated is a good all around moderate rod. An awful lot of power. I used this rod in Montauk this fall and never ever felt under gunned.. It will do what you need at the canal. You have the century if you need a stick strictly for jigging..

Hey Lou, 

I have the Jigster you recommended me for to cover that aspect. Although when you recommended the Jigster to me you weren’t saying it was a dedicated jig stick, but more of a jack of all trades blank which was spot on in my opinion. I have an 11’ TFO 3-8 oz that I use if I’m going to spend the night jigging, and the Jigster remains the one rod I’d bring to throw big swimbaits, plugs, and all nsessions. We spoke via email a couple months ago about the NEX1 and the information I stated regarding the action and performances of the rod was influenced by what you had reported to me. 

16 hours ago, Dan_evan1 said:

Hey Lou, 

I have the Jigster you recommended me for to cover that aspect. Although when you recommended the Jigster to me you weren’t saying it was a dedicated jig stick, but more of a jack of all trades blank which was spot on in my opinion. I have an 11’ TFO 3-8 oz that I use if I’m going to spend the night jigging, and the Jigster remains the one rod I’d bring to throw big swimbaits, plugs, and all nsessions. We spoke via email a couple months ago about the NEX1 and the information I stated regarding the action and performances of the rod was influenced by what you had reported to me. 

If you own the jigster the Nex1 is not necessary . What you have will get you through.  That being said, the 2-6 will throw down to an ounce. Both are close. Jigster being faster action but with the softer tip some Have said they didn’t care for it for Jigging.....

1 min ago, redhawk19 said:

If you own the jigster the Nex1 is not necessary . What you have will get you through.  That being said, the 2-6 will throw down to an ounce. Both are close. Jigster being faster action but with the softer tip some Have said they didn’t care for it for Jigging.....

Fair enough. And yeah that seems to be the big debate on the ole Jigster. Thanks for the input per usual, sir. Thank you to everyone else that chimed in as well.

6 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

Hey Dan.... here’s something else to consider 

AA69A64C-B1E0-433F-ADB4-1ECD525E9127.jpeg

Oh man that 3-8 oz is seriously intriguing. Thank you for the heads up man. I’m really looking forward to seeing the feedback on that blank! 

Dan

I test cast the 9' Limited Edition of the NEX1 the other day. The high end side of this rod is true to its rating. I threw a 5 oz. plug with it, and the rod did not feel labored one bit. Looking forward to running the 11 footer thru its passes. When I do I will report back. If its anything like the nine footer it should be a reel winner.

Lou

On 1/10/2018 at 0:18 PM, redhawk19 said:

Montauk and the CCC, are two different animals, where Montauk rods  are more of Moderate , where as at the CCC, rods are more faster action, the Century SS 1327 rod you have now, is more of the rod of choice up at the CCC,not for jigging (2-5oz.rated), but for pencils, Magic Swimmers, stick shads, etc.

On 1/10/2018 at 0:18 PM, redhawk19 said:

Interesting.. What is the biggest fish you caught this fall in Montauk?

10 mins ago, levari said:

Interesting.. What is the biggest fish you caught this fall in Montauk?

26 pounds, why? The problem out there is you need to turn fish in a hurry and get them out of the rocks. I have had other rods that I was not able to turn fish and lost them in the rocks.