pugetsounder

1/2 ounce distance on spinning rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Probably been answered but didn't find anything in searching the forums. I'm looking to cast 1/2 ounce kastmasters as far as possible. I want to use spinning gear and I see there are a few 10.5' salmon/steelhead spinning rods (Okuma SST for example) that are medium light power with 1/2 ounce as the max weight for lures. If you put on a light weight braid (maybe 8lb powerpro), how far do you reckon that will cast? Anything tips?

If it's not gonna go past 50 yards I can find another rod that will handle up to 1 ounce lures. This is for salmon fishing off beaches.

Shooting from the hip here since I’ve never salmon fished before however, I do a lot of surf fishing so I’d assume the same concepts would apply: make sure the rod has a long handle section to insure the greatest leverage possible on your cast, use a small diameter line such as a 4 carrier line like Daiwa’s 4x J Braid or preferably a line with a slick coating like Power Pro’s Super 8 Slick (8 carrier line) which I use (consider testing various braids to find the best performance for your applications, consider using a line conditioner also to insure the best line performance), if your rod is being purchased new then this shouldn’t be an issue but if not then check your rod’s guide inserts for damage to make sure your line isn’t damaged slowed as it travels through the guides, make sure your line is uniformly wound on the spool, cast your rod like a surf rod with progressive force coming over the top, with a longer rod make sure you have a enough line hanging out with your Kastmaster (2-3 ft or so) that you’ll get reasonable loading of your rod on the cast (no snap casts), and lastly, make sure there are no burrs or spool lip edge damage that could impede line travel coming off the spool. You should get long casts with this setup. Good luck!

I don't know about that rod.  but with gliss a stella 3k fi and a 9' tailwalk hi tide tz.  I can lob lucky craft wanders with minimal effort 50-70 yards.

Gliss or Nanofil will gain you 10% over any braid that i've used.  Providing you're not throwing baits that cast like a maple leaf(and that's being conservative)

12 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I can lob lucky craft wanders

Would these be the 90 size ie 3/4oz?

Looking for a replacement for the Storm Flutterstick 10 that was discontinued.

That Tailwalk looks awful. Don't know how you manage to use it.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:36 AM, scoobydoo said:

I don't know about that rod.  but with gliss a stella 3k fi and a 9' tailwalk hi tide tz.  I can lob lucky craft wanders with minimal effort 50-70 yards.

Gliss or Nanofil will gain you 10% over any braid that i've used.  Providing you're not throwing baits that cast like a maple leaf(and that's being conservative)

So I searched the forums on these lines and my takeaway is: they're not as abrasion resistant as braid and mono but they've become more consistent in breaking at the strength they're rated for (or better) in recent years. They work fairly well in the surf as long as you are picky with the knot you use (fg and modified alberto) and tie it to a mono leader. I take it it would work fine with a breakaway cannon, should I use it on heavier setups.

Is that accurate? Anything else to add? 

Edited by pugetsounder

A possible suggestion for a rod would be a Carp rod in the 2.75 lb power curve.  Daiwa Emblem Pro Carp or some of the Century Stealth models will likely give you best distance casts, but I do not have personal experience with this.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:37 PM, pugetsounder said:

Hi there,

Probably been answered but didn't find anything in searching the forums. I'm looking to cast 1/2 ounce kastmasters as far as possible. I want to use spinning gear and I see there are a few 10.5' salmon/steelhead spinning rods (Okuma SST for example) that are medium light power with 1/2 ounce as the max weight for lures. If you put on a light weight braid (maybe 8lb powerpro), how far do you reckon that will cast? Anything tips?

If it's not gonna go past 50 yards I can find another rod that will handle up to 1 ounce lures. This is for salmon fishing off beaches.

I use EXACTLY a Okuma 10'9" T-40X Salmon Steelhead with 1/2oz lead egg with a grub or a 1/2oz spoon. 8lb or 10lb Jerry Brown braid. I get much better distance using braid over mono. I have 4 different lengths of Okuma T-40X rods that are now discontinued. I use Shimano Nasci or Stradics 1K - 3K on them. 

T-40X.PNG

T-40X W:Stradic.JPG