BrianBM

A compromise of love

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

If the President is serious today, at the televised press conference, some of his supporters are going to be screaming with rage. Any talk of a compromise, on DACA, on Salvadoran refugees, on anything refugee or foreigner related, will have them howling.  

Maybe Bannon makes a comeback on this?

It'll be interesting.  On the one hand, if he succeeds in getting a wall of sorts, and also succeeds and getting some meaningful (or less than meaningful) lasting immigration changes ('reform') his base will likely see DACA as taking one for the team and part of negotiations-  Trumps supposed forte.

On the other hand, there will be some who see it as breaking a campaign promise . ( which I'd agree, it is, despite being part of keeping other campaign promises)

It'll be interesting.  

A secondary outcome, far less good for his detractors, cold b that this reaching across the isle (on an issue at least) will wash off some of the dirt that the never trumpers pile on him.  

Personally , I have no problem with letting the DACA folks stay, if it means the border gets secured, which means a physical barrier gets built.  We need something that the next administration can't tell the Border Patrol to ignore. 

Some on each side will be unhappy, some will grumble and some will scream at the sky.

This to will pass. 

I dont have an issue.  Let the dacas stay but lets get a wall, lets kick out criminals here illegally, lets stop chain migration, dial back the refugee bull ****, and start a merit based system for migration.

I dont think anyone but the craziest Trump 'supporters' will say a word.

I would love to sent every one of them back to where ever they came from.

I hope Trump plays hardball on this.

I hope the Dems are stupid enough to threaten a shutdown over it.

Just now, Shipwreck said:

I dont have an issue.  Let the dacas stay but lets get a wall, lets kick out criminals here illegally, lets stop chain migration, dial back the refugee bull ****, and start a merit based system for migration.

I dont think anyone but the craziest Trump 'supporters' will say a word.

In the end I think this post or the post above yours is how a lot of people feel.    

Comprormise.  More government.   Breaking an inflexible promise following some discussion, to meet partway.   healthy debate... 

I dunno.  Sounds like something a lot of folks would want out of a leader.  

2 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

I would love to sent every one of them back to where ever they came from.

I hope Trump plays hardball on this.

I hope the Dems are stupid enough to threaten a shutdown over it.

I'd be ok as a start with just cutting any benefits.  None.  I am so freaking tired of all the hands out in the world.  Everyone is owed something, slowly sucking at the teet that they all think they deserve.   Enough man.  Just cut em off, and the next ones wont come.   

Edited by 55555s

Tax dreamers at double the going rate until the Wall is paid off.  Win win.

They can stay(lib win)

higher taxes(lib win)

mexicans paid for the wall(Trump win)

wall is built(we all win)

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

If the President is serious today, at the televised press conference, some of his supporters are going to be screaming with rage. Any talk of a compromise, on DACA, on Salvadoran refugees, on anything refugee or foreigner related, will have them howling.  

Maybe Bannon makes a comeback on this?

I think most people won't have an issue compromising on daca if borders are tightened.

A rugburns song surfaced in my grey matter when I saw this thread title.... "Now's not the right time for love"

"....And now's not the right time for love
Hey, now's not the right time for love

Now's not the right time for love
'Cause I'm busy building an igloo in Alaska
Perhaps if you had asked me last week
I was reorganizing the space system for NASA
And that's not easy
With so many monkeys
And all those hot dogs
Floating in the air
Cute guys with crew cuts
Naming stars