Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
island fish lifter

cabo surf fishing

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi, new here. Im a saltwater guide on westcoast vancouver island, Canada. I vacation in Cabo every year and am heading there in two weeks. We stay at publo bunito sunset, I have always thought the beach looks fishy, Any recommendations or tips? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to SOL.

Friends just got back from Cabo and had a great time fishing from panga's.

You can also try reaching out to cabosurfcaster on this site, he guides. However, you need 15 (I think) posts before you can PM.

In addition, use the site search function, there is plenty of information on here just waiting for you to dig it up.

Good luck!

JLC/ AP

I was in cabo from dec 25-Jan 1. There are a good bit of sierra around which are great eating. Not many roosters. Still some jacks and needlefish as well. I would try some pencil poppers, surface irons, and walking baits. Also got to have some surface skipping lure such as roberts rangers, line stretchers and cabo killers. Good Luck. The boat guys are still catching some smaller yellowfin. You don't need one of the big sport fishers. The small pangas will take you to the same spots for tuna and be much cheaper. Most of the charter guys are live lining sardines with 30-40lb mono leader. You will get a lot more bites with 15-20lb leader. Just make sure you are using circle hooks so they get hooked in the corner of the mouth and make sure to play the fish.

I would also recommend Wesely/Cabosurfcaster he has a website you can find by googling cabosurfcaster. He took us to some pretty remote/cool beaches.

On 1/9/2018 at 10:08 PM, island fish lifter said:

Hi, new here. Im a saltwater guide on westcoast vancouver island, Canada. I vacation in Cabo every year and am heading there in two weeks. We stay at publo bunito sunset, I have always thought the beach looks fishy, Any recommendations or tips? Thanks!

I’ve stayed at Pueblo bonito sunset a few times- it’s fantastic.  The beach out front holds Sierra and jacks this time of year.  The Sierra bite generally lasts for an hour or so starting right when it just starts to get bright- I fish 6-8:00 every morning when i’m there.  I did well with #2 and 3 green deadly dicks and larger Hogie epoxy minnows.  Bone colored floating sp minnows did well around the rocks to the left once the bite slowed down.  I’d highly recommend reaching out to Wes as others mentioned.  He’s a great guy with good gear and really cool locations.  Have fun!

You walk out of the resort beach side and start fishing.  I always fish Pedregal Beach to the left as we have a villa there.  I also suggest Wesley.  Nice guy but he does drive like the locals!

Cabo