Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr T

Tampa fishing next month?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

next month is a tough one if the weather stays cooler itll be reds, trout, bonnet heads and sheepshead, on warmer days youll find snook mulling about but not with their usual vigor. fish crab patterns and tan/orange ghost shrimp patterns on lighter leaders like 10,12,16# 

wading is prob the most effective way to catch fish, u cant cover as much ground obviously but u can sneak up on fish...theres plenty of public access to the water all over the bay area...id suggest picking a general area an fish that area real extensively, iv learned around here theres fish everywhere its more a matter of when they are there.

there is no hard an fast "best tide" rule here weve got so much diversity of fish what is good for some isnt good for others but typically i like to wade knee deep at dead low incoming, that seems to be the best tide for reds an sheepshead but i can think of one spot where the exact opposite is true !

Your fly chances are pretty good What I found out the more south you go the wading is more muck soft. Plenty of wind this weekend so i’m Reschedule Sunday’s guide trip . I can really go back with the spin rod and that’s my B plan on soft plastics . Wind at + 15mph and cold temps .hard for me to see fish with so much wind , but my homework has paid off on days like this  Winters are a crap shoot this year but if you plan on being there and flexible pick and choose your location your ok This is a very unusual cold year,  much as 2010 . It’s not going to stop me form getting out it’s just have a different plan

tigt lines . 

Very much appreciated guys, flying there first week of feb, two weeks to start and then not sure but been told it may be kind of regular for the next 3-6 months.   Figure I’ll bring a 7 and a 8 wt and figure it out.  

For wading there, do you use flats booties, or? 

I do now, that was the most painful experience I ever had. It wasn't even a big Ray, it took over two months to heal. 

About the only time I won't wear boots now is if I have a lot of wave action and sand & shells in the surf being kicked up that get in the boots.

P1090301sol.JPG.c4e702a0633f3aebecf38dbb37878592.JPG

Edited by bonefishdick

9 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

I do now, that was the most painful experience I ever had. It wasn't even a big Ray, it took over two months to heal. 

About the only time I won't wear boots now is if I have a lot of wave action and sand & shells in the surf being kicked up that get in the boots.

P1090301sol.JPG.c4e702a0633f3aebecf38dbb37878592.JPG

I don't know if you remember, but the year before you stepped on the ray, I was walking along the beach in Siesta Key and I stepped on a Puffer Fish (Porcupinefish) It was laying in the sand dead, half covered.  I didn't see it. it blended in with the sand.  I had about ten slots that cut into my skin.  I thought I was a  goner.   It was sore for a couple of weeks.  I didn't get any sting, just very sore for the sharp cuts that i got from it.

Ok so the plan is to bring 2 rods, a 7 and 8, likely a floater on the 7 and still not sure w the 8.   I figure wading won’t require any fast sinking lines, or is that off base?    Gonna try to get some tying done- anyone have a pic of a local pattern(s) that works?  Never fails that I get there and whatever I brought is off in one respect or another.

With the weighted eye away from the hook eye it will help somewhat of a weed guard . 

As for what it resembles .. “ if it aint got Chartreuse it ain’t got no use “ it’s a Florida expression . A lot of bait fish have green backs . Take your pick . Capt Barkley Daniels turned me on to it. It’s been a good variety of takes . As far as falling ..I really don't know to be honest i justlet it fall to a 3 count strip pause strip strip pause .