Fish report 2018 Cape Cod Bay to the back side of Provincetown "Sand Eel City"

Rate this topic

codfish

1 hour ago, fishonnelsons said:

The last few days, not too far down the backside, we have run into those schools of small bass. Hundreds and hundreds of them, in 18-20 feet of water. Very very picky, quite honestly finding it hard to get them to bite. Yet, when the customers come up on the bridge and see the schools of them swimming past just under the surface, and marvel at the sight of this nature, they are just as happy as catching a keeper.

On the keeping a schoolie scenario, could have sworn I saw a charter guy dehook a small bass from a little boys rod, measure it and then keep it. Now, I was a good 75 feet away, but my eye is pretty good when guesstimating fish length, and this one was no more than 22-24. I’m hoping I was wrong, and he tossed the fish over on the other side of the boat, because it was out of character for him. I must admit, if it’s a really slow day, and a little boy catches a 27 and 98/100 inch of a bass, I might keep it, but never ever something less.

Thanks for sharing:):) every cast 5 inch small squid white or pink

1209.jpg

326-600x450 (1).jpg

3 hours ago, fishonnelsons said:

The last few days, not too far down the backside, we have run into those schools of small bass. Hundreds and hundreds of them, in 18-20 feet of water. Very very picky, quite honestly finding it hard to get them to bite. Yet, when the customers come up on the bridge and see the schools of them swimming past just under the surface, and marvel at the sight of this nature, they are just as happy as catching a keeper.

On the keeping a schoolie scenario, could have sworn I saw a charter guy dehook a small bass from a little boys rod, measure it and then keep it. Now, I was a good 75 feet away, but my eye is pretty good when guesstimating fish length, and this one was no more than 22-24. I’m hoping I was wrong, and he tossed the fish over on the other side of the boat, because it was out of character for him. I must admit, if it’s a really slow day, and a little boy catches a 27 and 98/100 inch of a bass, I might keep it, but never ever something less.

I use a little slim sandeel pattern that I tie - It seems to work best when I tie it in as a dropper 3 feet above a Stezko needlefish.......  he was the one that actually taught me that rig !

hope none of you guys are out on the water this morning. hell of storms passing through the area. outer cape is getting pounded. 3 houses on fire due to lightening strikes and wire down across route 6. roads flooded out all over too...be safe

When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person;
it merely says something about our own need to be critical.
-Author Unknown-

4 hours ago, bradW said:

hope none of you guys are out on the water this morning. hell of storms passing through the area. outer cape is getting pounded. 3 houses on fire due to lightening strikes and wire down across route 6. roads flooded out all over too...be safe

On the beach:) my feet are still wet, Nauset Inlet

6 hours ago, bradW said:

F600ED08-EF57-4C41-9C03-2EB9F878DC4B.jpeg

You dont have to swim faster than the shark........you only have to swim faster than your slowest friend.

2 hours ago, HAMP7670 said:

Had fun following small schools of stripers on my kayak outside sesuit harbor yesterday evening ..it seemed like the whole coastline as far as the eye can see... was alive with bird activity ...small paddle tails..sp minnows  and poppers worked fine 

nice thanks for sharing