codfish

Fish report 2018 Cape Cod Bay to the back side of Provincetown "Sand Eel City"

1,116 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FishingisaScience said:

Seeing this thread made my day!  Best of luck to everyone in 2018, but most importantly be safe.

 

Speaking of weather, a report was being generated last year of how accurate the bay swell forecast at 12,24, and 48 hrs matched with actual conditions.  Did NOAA release it?  Based on my experiences, it wasn't too accurate!  

This is the second year in a row that a friends boat sank, so any help regarding weather warnings are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea.  the outer cape weather has always been a little hard to anticipate to both the good and bad side.  i did some "actual research" the past two seasons and found utilizing all the options available these days and "triangulating" between apps like fish weather, the NOAA Marine site spot forecasts, NOAA marine site details (right down to the multi day wind, waves, etc) and "everyday consumer weather" like the weather channel and accuweather (app or website) has helped a LOT.

 

using/relying on any one forecast out more than 48 hours was really only 50/50 at best - especially on wind speed/sea conditions.  just a consensus between NOAA Marine and the fish weather app provided greatly improved reliability to nearly 75% "accurate" (and inaccurate less of a degree) out 48 hours. even when all the resources i checked regularly were in consensus, the 48 hour forecast was still less than 90% "accurate".

 

i considered "accurate" not physically noticeable variance between anticipated forecast and actual conditions when observed.  i did this "review" of saved forecasts (mostly screenshots) and compared them to actuals. 

 

its not unusual to have some fairly material disparity between different forecasts.  we do subscribe to and recommend "hope for the best, but plan for the worst".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

yea.  the outer cape weather has always been a little hard to anticipate to both the good and bad side.  i did some "actual research" the past two seasons and found utilizing all the options available these days and "triangulating" between apps like fish weather, the NOAA Marine site spot forecasts, NOAA marine site details (right down to the multi day wind, waves, etc) and "everyday consumer weather" like the weather channel and accuweather (app or website) has helped a LOT.

 

using/relying on any one forecast out more than 48 hours was really only 50/50 at best - especially on wind speed/sea conditions.  just a consensus between NOAA Marine and the fish weather app provided greatly improved reliability to nearly 75% "accurate" (and inaccurate less of a degree) out 48 hours. even when all the resources i checked regularly were in consensus, the 48 hour forecast was still less than 90% "accurate".

 

i considered "accurate" not physically noticeable variance between anticipated forecast and actual conditions when observed.  i did this "review" of saved forecasts (mostly screenshots) and compared them to actuals. 

 

its not unusual to have some fairly material disparity between different forecasts.  we do subscribe to and recommend "hope for the best, but plan for the worst".

 

 

I was more alarmed at the 12 hour window this year, especially late summer.  Pack up the family on Friday, head down, and see "W winds 5 to 10 overnight, with seas 1 to 2 feet.  Saturday.  Seas around 2 feet". 

 

Then the alarm goes off at 3, check the buoy history and you see 2.3 down to 0.3 around 2 AM.  Hook up the boat and fish FAC all day.  The worst is when the opposite happens!  

 

Don't get me wrong, it is New England.  Back door fronts, southerlies, and who knows what else.  Then again, if I am worrying about 1 or 3 footers I should stay closer to shore (or in bed) anyway.  At least if the winds are due N early in the season, you can change your plan of attack to a mile out of Bass River for sea bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Codfish,

thanks for starting the 2018 thread. I’m dumping out my tackle box completely. 

Will start by filing it with your three go-to lures.

 

Looking for for  recommendations for other gear  I should add for fishing sand-eel city this coming year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, catatonic said:

A couple of drone pics my buddy took of the ice off Truro yesterday.

145E2989-0CE8-4A27-8F63-59BDB113A97F.jpeg

DA59A267-FDB5-45D3-8221-D40AE5BDC09D.jpeg

Nice pics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, catatonic said:

A couple of drone pics my buddy took of the ice off Truro yesterday.

145E2989-0CE8-4A27-8F63-59BDB113A97F.jpeg

DA59A267-FDB5-45D3-8221-D40AE5BDC09D.jpeg

wow.  that's really cool.  and i can see my house !...:)

 

we've been thinking about using a drone off the boat (25'cc w/ a hart top T top) for things like tuna spotting. the biggest question we have is landing back on the boat with the boat being a small limited target and one that's never totally stationary.  anybody have any experience with this?  recommendations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice drone shots .....   I’m sure people would pay for the Intel on tuna.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

once again looking forward to the mass of boats that will arrive when word gets out that the bass have arrived around RP..always had mid may till almost end of june without many boats fishing,now the crowds as soon as the word gets out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 9:37 PM, nicknotsebastian said:

wow.  that's really cool.  and i can see my house !...:)

 

we've been thinking about using a drone off the boat (25'cc w/ a hart top T top) for things like tuna spotting. the biggest question we have is landing back on the boat with the boat being a small limited target and one that's never totally stationary.  anybody have any experience with this?  recommendations?

 

On land, the drone is super easy to control. It sets a GPS coordinate on take off and will return to that point on command or when contact with the controller is lost. Obviously this is a problem when launched from a moveable boat. Returning to where it was launched will probably end in a splash.

 

As long as you keep visual contact with the drone it would be possible. Winds can make it pretty difficult to land on a boat when both are getting pushed around. Good thing is drones have come down in price so it's not quite as bad when you lose one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

 

On land, the drone is super easy to control. It sets a GPS coordinate on take off and will return to that point on command or when contact with the controller is lost. Obviously this is a problem when launched from a moveable boat. Returning to where it was launched will probably end in a splash.

 

As long as you keep visual contact with the drone it would be possible. Winds can make it pretty difficult to land on a boat when both are getting pushed around. Good thing is drones have come down in price so it's not quite as bad when you lose one.

nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.