JoshF

Visiting Cape Cod lure recommendations?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey all ~

 

I will be visiting Cape Cod in early July, I have rented a house in a canal, not the main canal, though. I'm planning on targeting striped bass, I also want to target any fish I can off the dock, so I'd like to ask if there are any lure recommendations for stripers, and any lure recommendations and guesses for what fish might be living around the dock?

 

Thanks

 

Josh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swim shads (tsunami), small bucktails, gulp mullet baits, bomber or sp minnow and cc pencil or atom striper swiper. Maybe a castmaster with a dressed tail. Should cover you for small stripers and blues. A gulp bait on a jighead or bucktail will also catch just about anything around the cape.

What rod and reel do you plan on using?

 

Get into a local cape tackle shop and ask them what they recommend. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Swim shads (tsunami), small bucktails, gulp mullet baits, bomber or sp minnow and cc pencil or atom striper swiper. Maybe a castmaster with a dressed tail. Should cover you for small stripers and blues. A gulp bait on a jighead or bucktail will also catch just about anything around the cape.

What rod and reel do you plan on using?

 

Get into a local cape tackle shop and ask them what they recommend. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

I'm bringing a few rods, I have a 7' pflueger trion spooled with 15 pound mono, a 7'3 favorite phantom spinning setup with 12 pound flouro, and a quantum PT accurist low profile reel spooled with 40 pound powerpro, they are all bass and pike rods. I'm worried about the rods getting damaged by the salt as they aren't meant to be used in saltwater.

Edited by JoshF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JoshF said:

I'm bringing a few rods, I have a 7' pflueger trion spooled with 15 pound mono, a 7'3 favorite phantom spinning setup with 12 pound flouro, and a quantum PT accurist low profile reel spooled with 40 pound powerpro, they are all bass and pike rods. I'm worried about the rods getting damaged by the salt as they aren't meant to be used in saltwater.

Rinse the rods and reels with a gentle stream of fresh water after fishing. Hit rod guides, and reels. no powerful jet, that just leads to pushing salt, sand and water deeper into the reels.

I have fished freshwater gear in the salt without problems developing. Early season schoolie fishing is mostly done with light freshwater rods. It just comes down to taking care of your gear afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Rinse the rods and reels with a gentle stream of fresh water after fishing. Hit rod guides, and reels. no powerful jet, that just leads to pushing salt, sand and water deeper into the reels.

I have fished freshwater gear in the salt without problems developing. Early season schoolie fishing is mostly done with light freshwater rods. It just comes down to taking care of your gear afterwards.

Will I need to unspool my reels when I'm cleaning them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually take a quart spray bottle filled with fresh water and mist the reel and guides before I put the rod in my vehicle and then do a more thorough job back at the ranch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're fishing from a dock, you're likely in a backwater where snapper blues are likely.   
A couple small Kastmaster spoons or perhaps an Al's Goldfish would work well for snappers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JoshF said:

Will I need to unspool my reels when I'm cleaning them?

Remove the spool and gently rinse under hot water to dissolve the salt. 

 

Agree with everyone...you're going to need a bigger rod and the local shops will get you what you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to try fishing the surf you don't necessarily need the most expensive rod or reel. A 9ft rod (tsunami airwave elite) or similar rod and a diawa bg wont break the bank and will serve you well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe I'll be doing much or any surf fishing, the house I'm renting is located in the buzzards bay area, I've heard that there a black bass, flukes, weakfish and the like. I'm going to target stripers several times, so I'm assuming I should get a heavier rod and reel setup for them?

Edited by JoshF
Spelling mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.