bonefishdick

Warranties / A Good Thing

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

The winter Is usually when I try to use my warranties on various items. I don't abuse the the warranty process but I will use it especially when I feel it is justified. I have always felt that after I have spent my money and the product has served me well I will just buy a new replacement item.  

I think I am like most when it comes time to buy new, it is in it's own way fun to see what new products are available and what advancements have been made. It is sort of like a little kid in the candy store trying to decide on what to spend that nickle on. (Going back many many years with that statement, there was a time when it was true however)

I think the only thing I never think about changing up it my Airflo Intermediate, I love that line.

The winter is a great time to try to use your warranty, there is usually plenty of time to send in what ever you need to get fixed or replaced. Your not under the gun in most cases because you need it. That in off of itself is why we all like to have some sort of backup just case something goes bad. A back up usually will allow you to wait until the time is right for service.

This year I had a situation where I snagged a guy on a bike bombing down the beach with his big balloon tires.  At the time he was really upset and after he finally went on his way the full damage toll of the incident took place later. 

First the fly line once I got it all collected and I tried to straighten it out just snapped, it already had a number of cracks and I was hoping to get through the last week of my trip before I was going to sent it in.

The second thing that happened was after when the tip finally snapped on a cast a few days later. Maybe it was a good thing he came along.

I sent the line to Sci Anglers and the rod back to TFO. The rod was replaced with a brand new rod, it had other issues besides the tip and that took about a week. The line actually took much longer but like I said, I was not in a rush. 

These are the new kids on the block.

P1100013sol.JPG.8255fca351c60002f63285d2f9eac2c5.JPG

I bought a Tibor Signature Reel 8wt that wasn't quite right from a local fly shop. It was sold as new but there was something about the drag that I didn't find to be correct. I sent it back to 

Tibor and they gave me a new reel! Great company and terrific  warranty . FishHawk

Ran into an issue with a 3-Tand TF I had purchased for a 7'wt, Salmon River bound. Not dunked, dropped or anything other that would cause an issue.

Retailer took care of it pronto, River Bay Outfitters. Not sure what the issue was it felt sticky  3rd day into and after I returned from the trip.

Products with warranties cost more because it's actually a form of insurance. I have been very pleased with warranty repairs from Sage, SA, Saint Croix and TFO. I am concerned about LL Bean. I've encountered several fishermen who boast about taking advantage of LL Bean's wader warranty. If folks abuse warranties companies will become restrictive or cancel them. 

I have had superb experience with the TFO warranty. I have also taken advantage of LL Bean's wader warranty because they leaked. Are there guys out there sending waders back for warranty simply because they want a new pair? I don't know. But Bean does not call it a warranty - they call it a guarantee wherein they guarantee you will be fully satisfied with the product, not simply that it will not fail (or that they will replace it if it does fail).

I had a great experience with Costa when the rubber around the frames of my Fantails degraded. I sent them back for repair along with $12, and they sent me a brand new updated pair, not simply repaired.

Islander is great too. I needed a new handle for my #3 and because they felt they took to long to respond, they sent me a new handle kit free of charge. 

I agree with you about lamson, any time I have sent a reel back I always get a hand written note explaining exactly what they did. That eliminates any questions and lets you know your concerns were addressed. 

I know they also have a service charge and I enclose that as well if I feel it is not a warranty issue, sometimes wear & tear come with the territory.