flyangler

What if Trump WANTS the dementia narrative to continue?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

The following was going to be a comment to the Outpost discussion on Trump “admitting” his dementia. But when finished I decided to make it its own discussion, partly because that discussion was going on well past its expiration date. So here goes 

I was responding to Guernsey’s comment that the WH/Trump were frustrated that the senility narrative is not “going away”. My argument is simple: TRUMP IS NOT READY FOR THE DEMENTIA/SENILITY NARRATIVE TO DIE JUST YET. 

ETA: Anyone see the Trump meeting in the WH with the Dem and GOP leadership. What was supposed to be a couple minutes turned into 45 minutes of Trump owning the room. He forced the Media to cover it live as he engaged with leaders, showed full control of the issues, showed respect, etc. and without a sign of anything related to the mental health concerns. 

1 hour ago, Aquacide said:

likewise the Wapo reported that there's frustration that the narrative is not going away any time soon - nor should it, he has been exhibiting this behavior for at least 18 months.

Tried reading the Atlantic piece but bailed out after the water drinking became a focus. Go back and read the Goldwater Rule. As for an official government process to access the POTUS, that is what his annual exam is for. 

Regarding the issue of the storyline not going away, why do you think the WH wants it to go away necessarily? The best way for any WH to have a storyline recede is to not pay it any attention. Absent any new information to fuel the story, it recedes as the Media moves on to something else. Especially with this WH which likes to confront issues of the day. 

What if the reason the story is not going away is because the WH WANTS TO KEEP IT ALIVE? How does misinformation work? You feed those watching information that you know if false but you allow them to think is true, even “confirming” the bad information through secondary or tertiary means or “clues”. Why would you want to do this? Well, to discredit those to whom you are feeding the information as they embarrass themselves by reporting or acting upon the misinformation. 

Consider that Trump is on a mission to discredit the MSM, “the swamp”, Democrats and #NeverTrump types. He loves taking a shot whenever offered, but what if he knows how to create opportunities as well? What if he can force the Media, et al to focus on something, get into a lather about it and then, over time, show their concerns to not only been for naught, but to have been hysterical?

Need an example? How about the storyline that Trump was going to fire Mueller over the Christmas break? Sources “in the know” convinced the Media this was a real possibility and they ran with it. Hair afire, breathless, hours of coverage and yards of columns about how Trump was going to fire Mueller because Trump thought the investigation was getting “too close”, etc. The belief in this story was so strong that the normally non-hyper-partisan Mark Warner went to the Senate well to publicly warn Trump off. Hysteria with liberals hitting the “refresh” button throughout the holidays just waiting for the headline “Trump Fires Mueller, Constitutional Crisis Explodes”. 

Except, not only did that not happen, but WH Counsel McCann came out and said that he and Trump’s lawyers have a cordial working relationship with investigators. And now we hear that there are plans being put into place for Trump to respond to Mueller, if not actually meet with him and team. GET THAT?! A total reversal and the Media/Left/Warner hysteria is exposed as what it was, overwrought emotion based on nothing that has come to fruition. 

Now we get to the sanity narrative. IF Trump is having cognitive issues, going senile or otherwise having neurological (snippy cup) problems, he and his team do not want to draw attention to these, right? You would downplay stories, not tweet about them in the most public of ways. You would not have him grabbing water bottles if doing so is a problem. You would not have him delivering pre-written or contemporaneous speeches if there is a chance he could flub, lose place, seem incoherent, etc. Yet, none of that is happening. 

Nope, IF i am in the WH and I KNOW that Trump is fine, mentally and physically, and that there will be no news to counter that, why not feed the Left/Media/haters enough rope to hang themselves? I know a 25A challenge will never come, never mind get to a House vote (which I win anyway). I KNOW there are no high crimes and misdemeanors so an impeachment is not coming. 

So what do I do? Help the Media et al make themselves look more foolish. I FEED misinformation so that some Dems will run in 2018 on 25A/Impeachment. I allow the Media to focus on this nonesense while I get work done that they will have to report on eventually, but that the people see in real-time. And, when there is no further evidence of dimentia (because I am not demented), the Media and all others who accused me of same lose even more respect for having run with a meaningless narrative for so long. 

What is interesting is that Obama did this to the birthers for years. He always had the potential to get the HA hospital to release the proof of live birth but he never pushed them to do that. For years BO allowed birthers to blast him so that his allies in the Media could dissect their unsupportable claims. It was only after Trump made his big challenge that Obama finally gave the nod to the hospital to release the record. But in the process, no small number of people on the Right were ridiculed and worse for their belief.

Trump is no idiot and fully understands how to manipulate the media, having spent decades manipulating the most sophisticated media in the world, in NYC and Wall Street. He knows well how to get them to report what he wants them to report, and how to avoid putting attention on what he does not. Like any magician (except for the fishin’ type), Trump knows how to misdirect attention away from the action and toward what he wants his audience to focus upon. 

Lunch is done, back to work, but this is another example of where the Media alternatively says that Team Trump is smart, savvy and calculating and then bases arguments on just the opposite, they can’t have it both ways. 

Sorry GB, you are seeing what you want to see, and not alternative explanations. 

Edited by tomkaz

BTW, with all the news on immigration coming out in the past 24 hours, how can the Media keep up the ceaseless mental health narrative in a fixed news-reporting day? 

7 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Maybe Trump is brilliantly stupid?

An exceptional moron?

Evil genius, take your pick, but he is smarter than the vast majority of people who are “covering” him in the Media. 

Consider today at the WH, he controlled everything. The Dems were brought in but did not know the Media would be invited in.

The Media was invited in but did not know Trump was going to hold court for 40+ minutes and that they were going to have to cover it live.

Neither the Dems nor the Media would have wanted Trump to look in command, etc given their druthers. 

And Dick Durbin was seated right next to Trump, forcing DD to appear attentive and to respond with respect, or been shown on TV to be a douche. 

3D chess versus checkers. 

As long as Trump continues to tweet and tell the country he knows better/in your face banter ect the insane narrative will not go away.

It's his historical MO.

15 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

As long as Trump continues to tweet and tell the country he knows better/in your face banter ect the insane narrative will not go away.

It's his historical MO.

So you concur that Trump is controlling the narrative and the coverage? And that he could make it go away to a certain extent if that was his desire? 

23 mins ago, tomkaz said:

So you concur that Trump is controlling the narrative and the coverage? And that he could make it go away to a certain extent if that was his desire? 

I concur 100%. If he stopped tweeting tomorrow the media would actually have to perform work. No more waking up and looking at your phone and smiling because POTUS served another gem on a platter. 

However, I do not believe he is an evil genius. I think he's a megalomaniac and indifferent to what others think about him and his actions. 

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

ETA: Anyone see the Trump meeting in the WH with the Dem and GOP leadership. What was supposed to be a couple minutes turned into 45 minutes of Trump owning the room. He forced the Media to cover it live as he engaged with leaders, showed full control of the issues, showed respect, etc. and without a sign of anything related to the mental health concerns. 

I saw it, and thought it was productive, with both Reps and Dems there. Maybe they can get something done.

FORCED the media to stay? Are you kiddin' me?

13 mins ago, patchyfog said:

I saw it, and thought it was productive, with both Reps and Dems there. Maybe they can get something done.

FORCED the media to stay? Are you kiddin' me?

Stop! You are misquoting me, I did NOT say he forced the Media to stay, I said he forced the Media to cover the session live, as it happened. They could not filter it, ignore it nor spin it as they want given the live coverage. Traditionally, you know that it is usually two minutes and “goodbye”. 

If you are going to act indignant, please get my words right before you get all uppity. 

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

Stop! You are misquoting me, I did NOT say he forced the Media to stay, I said he forced the Media to cover the session live, as it happened. They could not filter it, ignore it nor spin it as they want given the live coverage. Traditionally, you know that it is usually two minutes and “goodbye”. 

If you are going to act indignant, please get my words right before you get all uppity. 

Maybe he should let the press in more often???

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

No, I don't think Trump could make it go away if he wanted to.

I don't think Trump is "acting" like a buffoon, it's who he is.

Trump can no more change than a leopard can change its spots.

I'm sorry but perhaps, I just have higher expectations for the conduct of our president than many on the right do currently.

54 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

I'm sorry but perhaps, I just have higher expectations for the conduct of our president than many on the right do currently.

Don’t apologize. 

For what it’s worth,  I think he’s really, really good at making money in real estate by whatever means and that might be the only thing he’s good at. 

Many multi millionaire mafiosi had 3rd grade educations.  

59 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

This.

And he's getting a few good things done.  And he's going to give on DACA.  And the appropriations bill is a timebomb if there's not a companion budget.  He's so much better than Hillary, despite the endless buffoonery, but he could also be much better still.

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

Maybe he should let the press in more often???

First, I will take that as an acknowledgement of your having wronged me. 

Second, it is relatively standard practice that presidents let the press pool reporters in for a few minutes before such meetings. Has happened for many years. What was unusual in this instance is Trump allowing them to stay and be privy to that much of the discussion. 

Again, I would love to know what was going on in the minds of Durbin and Hoyer given they were put on either side of Trump. That was no accident...

1 hour ago, Gotcow? said:

I have higher expectations, this guy wasn't my first nor second choices. And I only voted for him because I cared about the Courts and he was not Clinton. ABC = Anybody But Clinton