Lawaia808

Daiwa Ardito Surf Travel Rod?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey SOL, ran a search but couldn’t find much, anyone have experience with Daiwa’s 5pc Ardito Surf Travel rod? Looking for their optimal casting weight/range for both the Medium and Medium Heavy. 

Also, how does the 5pc feel? More concerned about durability/failures than sensitivity.. for what it’s worth, I’m chasing 5-20lb jacks/trevallies in my area (Hawaii), do a lot of inter island air travel, hence the need for a travel rod. I have a St Croix Triumph Surf Travel rod as well but am not a fan of the guides. Prefer the LC guidetrain of the Ardito :)

thanks! 

First & last bump, hopping on a plane tomorrow :) worst case scenario I’ll pick up the MH locally and report in lol... if anyone has this model I’d appreciate to hear what it’s sweet spot is with lure weights!

Hi Lawaia, I purchased the heavy model this past spring for a trip that never materialized. Anyway,  did test it out here in the surf of NJ, and can tell you that performed very well. I used it for throwing plugs up to 3 oz. with a spinning reel, and I also threw a slosh 20 on it and threw a 5oz lead and bait. The rods fit and finish is pretty darn nice, especially for the price.  I picked mine up on the big auction site for $80.00!!! The rods is very sensitive, and it has those European ferrules that leave a small gap after assembly. The case is not the greatest. It’s a little big and not crush proof. It’s not even close to a PVC tube but  it works. Overall a very good value. Forgot to mention, it handled fish up to 25lbs very well. I’m sure it will handle fish much bigger than I caught.

Edited by Tagman
Give more info

I have one . It’s the 11’ 3-8. But I haven’t traveled lately and haven’t used it . It feels good , like it would throw 5 ounces well. Don’t know about 8. Finish is odd. First section is smooth , the rest is unfinished.

1 hour ago, Tagman said:

Hi Lawaia, I purchased the heavy model this past spring for a trip that never materialized. Anyway,  did test it out here in the surf of NJ, and can tell you that performed very well. I used it for throwing plugs up to 3 oz. with a spinning reel, and I also threw a slosh 20 on it and threw a 5oz lead and bait. The rods fit and finish is pretty darn nice, especially for the price.  I picked mine up on the big auction site for $80.00!!! The rods is very sensitive, and it has those European ferrules that leave a small gap after assembly. The case is not the greatest. It’s a little big and not crush proof. It’s not even close to a PVC tube but  it works. Overall a very good value. Forgot to mention, it handled fish up to 25lbs very well. I’m sure it will handle fish much bigger than I caught.

Thanks for the review! I’m planning on using a 6k Saragossa with 30-40lb braid. Did you try any lighter weights? I’m planning on tossing SP minnows up to 2 3/8 oz super strike little neck poppers. 2-3 oz metal jigs too. The latter I’m sure would work, but very interested if it loads well with an SP. 

I plan on bringing the rod on as a carry-on for inter island travel places beneath the seat. Love how compact it is. Wish I had time to order online, local shop is full retail at $150+tax..

Yes, I have casted the SP minnow. One of my favorite plugs. The 3-8 casted them well, but I would go with the lighter 2-6 if you prefer to cast up to 2-21/2 most of the day. These rods are not exactly true to there weight either. I would say Daiwa over rates them a little, but the lighter version will be better with the smaller lures. Another reason why I went with the larger 3-8, was that wanted to throw some chunks with it too. The rod works well with both spinning and conventional reels. Even though I didn’t test it out for months, I still like the rod.

20 hours ago, Tagman said:

Yes, I have casted the SP minnow. One of my favorite plugs. The 3-8 casted them well, but I would go with the lighter 2-6 if you prefer to cast up to 2-21/2 most of the day. These rods are not exactly true to there weight either. I would say Daiwa over rates them a little, but the lighter version will be better with the smaller lures. Another reason why I went with the larger 3-8, was that wanted to throw some chunks with it too. The rod works well with both spinning and conventional reels. Even though I didn’t test it out for months, I still like the rod.

Appreciate the feedback! Yes, SPs and no more than 3 oz jigs will be used. If you had to estimate, what kind of distances were you hitting with the SP and with what lb line?

I may reconsider getting the MH if the M can cast this range significantly better. On the flip side, trevallies are hard hitting and fast. A MH would probably do a better job slowing down the smaller trevallies from cutting me off on reef structure.. always a trade with casting distance vs power, the prior being my preference :) I do intend on fishing the east coast within the next few years so the rod would double duty for stripers.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:48 PM, Tagman said:

Tagman,  There have been some reports about the reel seat breaking on this rod.  Also the Medium (not Medium Heavy) version (rated 2-6 but probably more like 1-4) will not accept a larger reel (5000 series or larger reel foot).  What size reel did you use on the heavier version?   The first guide is also quite close to the reel, which troubles me a bit when using heavier braid.

4 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Tagman,  There have been some reports about the reel seat breaking on this rod.  Also the Medium (not Medium Heavy) version (rated 2-6 but probably more like 1-4) will not accept a larger reel (5000 series or larger reel foot).  What size reel did you use on the heavier version?   The first guide is also quite close to the reel, which troubles me a bit when using heavier braid.

Hi Killie,  Besides the slosh conventional, the spinning reels that I hooked up to this rod were a Saragosa 6000 with 30lbbraid, and a Daiwa certate 4000HD with 20 or 30 lbbraid. I forget. No problems with either reel fitting on the rod. Again, I wish I was able to give Lawaia more info about this rod, but I have very limited use with it other than my first impression which is positive. Just a couple of hours and a few fish with the rod, I seemed to feel it was worth the 80 buck I paid for it. Time will tell.

I also want to mention that I used mono with the slosh 20. To answer Killies concern about the first guide, I didnt have any casting issues. You also must remember, this is a travel rod, and I wasn’t expecting the same level of performance that I would get with some of my high end rod. I hope someone else that owns the rod will chime in. Mine will not get fished until I go away in a few months. 

I bought both the 3-8 MH and the 2-6 M recently for an upcoming trip Puerto Vallarta.

They are a pretty good value for the money. The one thing that did annoy me was that the reel seats were quite small and would not accept a Penn Battle 6000 reel foot.

I had to file down the reel foot quite a bit narrower to get it to fit. Now that it's done everything working fine. I have a Battle 6000 with 50 lb PP on each rod. I also installed Breakaway Cannons on both rods.

I tested both rods with 3 oz Rangers and 3 oz GT Ice Cream Needle nose and the 3 3/8 oz Tsunami XD poppers

Both rods sent the Ranger and GT around the 100 yard mark with a thump cast with not much difference between them.

The  3-8 rod was definitely better at tossing the XD popper. The 2-6 felt a bit sloppy with the XD , both on the cast and popping the plug on the way back.

The 2-6 was a much better tool for 138 and 118 Waxwings than the 3-8.

I think the 2-6 might be best matched with a 5000 reel and 30 lb PP with lures less than 2.5 oz.

The Rods come with a nice flexible cordura case.

Both of these rods will fit into one case which fits into a airline approved dimension suitcase.

No more lumping a 6 ft rod case though the airport. Of having it not show up. Sweet !

4 hours ago, DennisV said:

I bought both the 3-8 MH and the 2-6 M recently for an upcoming trip Puerto Vallarta.

They are a pretty good value for the money. The one thing that did annoy me was that the reel seats were quite small and would not accept a Penn Battle 6000 reel foot.

I had to file down the reel foot quite a bit narrower to get it to fit. Now that it's done everything working fine. I have a Battle 6000 with 50 lb PP on each rod. I also installed Breakaway Cannons on both rods.

I tested both rods with 3 oz Rangers and 3 oz GT Ice Cream Needle nose and the 3 3/8 oz Tsunami XD poppers

Both rods sent the Ranger and GT around the 100 yard mark with a thump cast with not much difference between them.

The  3-8 rod was definitely better at tossing the XD popper. The 2-6 felt a bit sloppy with the XD , both on the cast and popping the plug on the way back.

The 2-6 was a much better tool for 138 and 118 Waxwings than the 3-8.

I think the 2-6 might be best matched with a 5000 reel and 30 lb PP with lures less than 2.5 oz.

The Rods come with a nice flexible cordura case.

Both of these rods will fit into one case which fits into a airline approved dimension suitcase.

No more lumping a 6 ft rod case though the airport. Of having it not show up. Sweet !

how many sections and how long is the case?

On 1/9/2018 at 2:01 PM, Lawaia808 said:

Hey SOL, ran a search but couldn’t find much, anyone have experience with Daiwa’s 5pc Ardito Surf Travel rod? Looking for their optimal casting weight/range for both the Medium and Medium Heavy. 

Also, how does the 5pc feel? More concerned about durability/failures than sensitivity.. for what it’s worth, I’m chasing 5-20lb jacks/trevallies in my area (Hawaii), do a lot of inter island air travel, hence the need for a travel rod. I have a St Croix Triumph Surf Travel rod as well but am not a fan of the guides. Prefer the LC guidetrain of the Ardito :)

thanks! 

In terms of durability, I shattered the tip section on my medium heavy while trying to pull the line closer to me to get seaweed off my sinker.   Yes, I was being a dummy, but it did feel like it broke a little easy.   

Got it it replaced for only $13, so fish hard.