Jollyrodger

Orleans, MA

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am going to a wedding in Orleans, MA in early September. I would like to know what areas  / beaches around that area would be good for striper fishing from shore.

Thanks in advance.

All of them.    I am not being a wise ass.  Use a satellite view of the area, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of water flow, drop offs etc, and figure out a descent area to hit.  That time of year most areas could be pretty good to hit 

Stop in the big tackle shop near the rotary and spend a few $$$ and tell them your situation and I'm positive that you will get the proper info. You can find fish on the ocean side, bay side and even do some flats fishing. 

21 mins ago, oldgoat said:

Dude I hope your not the groom. Fish yer ass off at night.

If he is the groom and used the phrase "I am going to a wedding" it wont matter he's in for a world of hurt anyway

Edited by SurffisherMike

seriously, just walk to the water wherever you are, you won't be able to miss.   

The name of the tackle store is Goose Hummock.   

After Labor Day you have easy access to all the beaches. Anywhere along Nauset Beach at night or before first light is good. Look on Google earth or check it out at low tide to find the structure. Mostly schoolies in Sept. but a few larger fish in the mix. Remember to reel them in quick through the seal gauntlet!

A native, who is a member here, told me recently that the outer beach (Atlantic side) now has over 50,000 seals which has seriously hurt fishing. Not sure if they feed at night, but he said it’s so bad that if you do hook up, the seals will take the fish before you land it!

If you don't mind a little drive check out to Herring Cove, where you park to where you fish is 50 ft, also the Goose or Blackbeards Bait and Tackle are worth a stop for some info.

You're gonna be right smack in the middle of a great place to fish. You can park at any local beach in Orleans for free after 5pm. Look for white water to show you the bars. The areas with no breaking waves have deeper water. Where you have waves breaking farther out, but the white water ends with calmer water between it and shore shows a nice hole to fish. Cast over the bar and work your lure into the hole. Pretty much the same thing with bars perpendicular to the beach. Cast over the bar, let your lure sweep under tension into the hole downcurrent of the bar. Needlefish lures with a teaser are the best setups there. Cape Cod National Seashore has miles and miles of very bassy water. Look at Google Earth, as stated by someone above, to familiarize the type of structure, but know that it changes with each storm. The substrate is sand, not rock, and is constantly in motion. The structure can change in a single tide.