Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kross57

The what's it thread

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

You guys are so sharp with tracks, I thought I would give you a few puzzlers from today. First one. I know what this is, because I found the critter at the end of it. On a frozen swamp.  

P1090022.JPG

P1090023.JPG

P1090024.JPG

1 hour ago, Jettyhound said:

Muskrat?

We have a winner! For some reason he was wandering around on the ice. I'm guessing his home area froze solid and he was forced out.  

P1090026.JPG

We have a bunch of muskrats I watch daily as the ice begins to form and then again as it receeds.   They will maintain a hole in the ice as long as they can.  I NEVER see them in the yard though.  Wouldn't even know what the tracks looked like.

I used to trap muskrats and raccoons from about 1968-1973.  I think a large rat pelt brought about $1.75 - 2 bucks back then; coons ~6 - 7 bucks  The world was much different then.  I wouldn't know where to sell a pelt if I had one.

15 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

I used to trap muskrats and raccoons from about 1968-1973.  I think a large rat pelt brought about $1.75 - 2 bucks back then; coons ~6 - 7 bucks  The world was much different then.  I wouldn't know where to sell a pelt if I had one.

Same here, early 60's.  We used to box up our pelts at the end of the season and send them to some buyer in Chicago.  Where I live now we have a fur post, they will even take road kill, if the hide is intact 

17 hours ago, Jettyhound said:

About the same price they’re going for now lol

Hard for me to judge from a photo. I should have asked where they were. They say turkey tracks are 4-5" long, heron are about 6".

I took these pics of heron tracks the other day in a swamp. They're bigger but not by a huge amount. Easier to judge when you're standing there. Plus, I'm not that bright!  :)

P1090042.JPG

Edited by kross57