Vsy

Used Van staal reels for sale

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Probably people downsizing their inventory or wanting to move one to raise funds to try one of the newer lines of VS reels.  I don't think you'll ever find an owner who said they suck and I'm offloading. 

All the answers above are reasonable explanations, but I think a lot of people get them because they are the cool thing to have.  I have considered buying one on several occasions (for the cool factor) but have never actually pulled the trigger because I eventually realize it is overkill and the money is better spent elsewhere.  This is not to say I won't break down and buy one in the future. After fishing with them, people sometimes realize that their reel is not getting dunked/wet and they are not cranking in fish with the reel submerged.  At that point they may begin to wonder if they actually need a VS for the type of fishing that they do.  This is just conjecture on my part as I have never actually been in this position.

There is a segment of the population who jump all in at the beginning and realize they went above what they actually need for their purposes and then offload some of the gear.  That's where I come in.  :naughty:

I also think that some people changed to other high end models that may not be as bullet proof, lighter, smoother with really nice line lay.

Personally I love my VS reels. All of which I bought here used on the BST forum.

JD

1 hour ago, Vsy said:

Why there are so much used van staal reels on sale on "General buy/sell/trade"

Are they bad reels ? 

Post Christmas credit card bills piling up and Van Staals are easy to sell to raise some cash quick. Or, maybe they suck.  I dunno.

Edited by Cpalms

I think one reason is they never become useless. beat the hell out of them for 5-10 years and they still have value and can be sold if you no longer want it. not many reels will have any value at that point so they get thrown out

Edited by SurffisherMike

Wouldn't sell mine. Wanted a reel to last a lifetime of salt fishing. More cost effective imo. Overkill, maybe...cool factor influence, possibly...investment, absolutely.