adaboy078

WTB Capt.John DeMaio Book - Fishing with the Bucktail

19 posts in this topic

Thats just some crazy reseller, its common for any book that is old and wasn't printed much to begin with. Amazon has tons of examples (i have a book on Portuguese wine that they listed for $600!!!) Kind of like posting a campo lure for $100+ dollars. :kook:

I was told it is the best bucktail book ever written 2x now! I have read skinner's a few times now and bucktail often, but I think becoming a "master" bucktailer is the maybe the best skill I could hope to have.

14 mins ago, adaboy078 said:

I was told it is the best bucktail book ever written 2x now! I have read skinner's a few times now and bucktail often, but I think becoming a "master" bucktailer is the maybe the best skill I could hope to have.

I believe there is a certain type of magical touch you can gain with a bucktail. After gaining confidence in it there is nothing like it. If you have this touch you can catch fish after fish while others don’t even get a hit. Maybe it’s my imagination but I’ve heard confidence helps in fishing, I’ve heard this a few times from different fishermen. I still wouldn’t consider myself a “master bucktailer”, I’m just better than most on some days. I would like to read this book as well, i wonder if it’s available to read online. 

I've read about fishing bucktails by John Skinner, William A. Muller, Tom Migdalski, Zeno Hromin, DJ Muller and even Kenn Oberrecht.  I have not read this one we're discussing by Capt. John DeMaio.  All I can say is it would have to be one helluva good book about bucktailing to be worth the price being asked.  It was published in 1990.  It's not old enough to be that rare.

38 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

I've read about fishing bucktails by John Skinner, William A. Muller, Tom Migdalski, Zeno Hromin, DJ Muller and even Kenn Oberrecht.  I have not read this one we're discussing by Capt. John DeMaio.  All I can say is it would have to be one helluva good book about bucktailing to be worth the price being asked.  It was published in 1990.  It's not old enough to be that rare.

I wonder if anyone would actually pay that :laugh: I’m sure the other books contain the same information or were inspired by that book anyway. I can’t imagine there would be any secret information in that book that is not already known by the others who have written books as well. 

9 mins ago, Big Will said:

I wonder if anyone would actually pay that :laugh: I’m sure the other books contain the same information or were inspired by that book anyway. I can’t imagine there would be any secret information in that book that is not already known by the others who have written books as well. 

I agree.  The only thing I can think of is maybe some old long forgotten technique or lures may be mentioned.  Even at that there's plenty of guys that were around when DeMaio wrote the book.  What was known then is still known now by someone.

I fished a couple times with John on the Vivienne, needless to say he doesn't need me to validate his legacy.

The focus in his book at least to regards to bucktails was casting them up current from an anchored boat in the rips at montauk.

Not really a surf casters thing,but  ahhhh but John named his secret killer lure.

Dan hint here (you would know, those 2 oz eel jig head I bought from you last year) anyway he thought very Highly of the alou magic tail/eel jig heads sans rubber tube.

John liked to put an eel skin onto the alou magic tail head cut to the same shape and size of the original rubber.

I have the book :hooked:

again just my 2 cents

Edited by fishinthedark

35 mins ago, fishinthedark said:

I fished a couple times with John on the Vivienne, needless to say he doesn't need me to validate his legacy.

The focus in his book at least to regards to bucktails was casting them up current from an anchored boat in the rips at montauk.

Not really a surf casters thing,but  ahhhh but John named his secret killer lure.

Dan hint here (you would know, those 2 oz eel jig head I bought from you last year) anyway he thought very Highly of the alou magic tail/eel jig heads sans rubber tube.

John liked to put an eel skin onto the alou magic tail head cut to the same shape and size of the original rubber.

I have the book :hooked:

again just my 2 cents

Thanks for the enlightenment.  Anything more would be appreciated.  There's no doubt the man was a master of his craft, there just seems to be a mystery about what and how he did it.

BTW I think I may have a few more of those eel heads if you're interested.