Marty

Good low profile saltwater reel?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

If VS made conventional reels I wouldn’t need to know.  I’m getting a 7 ft acid wrap rod for fluke & bass and want a low profile reel. This will be my first low profile reel and just to tell you I’m hard on reels. May not even wash it until the end of season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, meccalli said:

Something with seals I guess, the new tranx might be the only option. I would go with the okuma komodo if you took care of your gear.

I just looked  at them. Price is good also on sale $174. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all due respect, if you are not going to clean your reels, don't get a low pro bait caster for saltwater.

 

Don't get a Lexa, don't get an Komodo, don't get a Tranx, etc...

 

You can get by without cleaning reels like a VS, but if you fail to clean any low profile bait caster after a season of saltwater use, the reel will fail on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had good luck with Lexa's & Curado's but as someone already stated they will require maintenance. Sometimes I'll get through the season without it but more often a mid-season takedown is needed.  Great reels though & worth the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

With all due respect, if you are not going to clean your reels, don't get a low pro bait caster for saltwater.

 

I kinda want him to get one of each and tell us how they're holding up after 300 trips w/o any sort of maintenance...just to satisfy my own curiosity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

 

I kinda want him to get one of each and tell us how they're holding up after 300 trips w/o any sort of maintenance...just to satisfy my own curiosity. 

 

It would be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

It would be interesting.

I am getting 2 boat rods 7.2 and 7.4 acid wrap rods. Lexa’s & Curado’s I think will be my choice. They will be fished hardl. Do you consider spraying the rod & reel down after every fishing trip, maintenance? What I will do is keep all my boat rods in the rod holder as I’m washing the boat. They air dry but I don’t oil them nor do I turn the handle to remove water. 

B9819978-DACF-4EDC-8012-1AFB1273BE65.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vinnyb said:

I've had good luck with Lexa's & Curado's but as someone already stated they will require maintenance. Sometimes I'll get through the season without it but more often a mid-season takedown is needed.  Great reels though & worth the effort.

First I need to tell you I fish with 5 difference rods. Sometimes more.    What do you do for maintenance? You fish all day. Then you do what to the reel? I will spray the rods off but that’s it. Do you oil them ? My buddy takes  his reels off the rod and takes them in his house and rinse with warm water. Drys them, oils them. Then you have to tie on your line again.  That’s crazy. After I rinse the boat down I have to rinse my motor. Flush out the motor. Go home clean all the fish then put all the heads and guts in my garden in a 3 ft hole. Then package all the meat into different bag, vacuum seal them. keep some and give some away. Most of days I fish I always  go clamming. That’s a hole other days job. There is not enough time in the day.  Then night time comes.  Surf fishing starts. 

743B927A-D753-41BE-ABFC-FB7091B43587.jpeg

Edited by Marty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - just a quick spray-down after every trip is what I do. For bottom fishing you may get through the season without having to take them down.  If you're casting then it's generally more frequent takedowns as water will spray off the spool & work its way into the reel eventually. Once the thumb bars start to stick you'll know its time to get into the reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Yes - just a quick spray-down after every trip is what I do. For bottom fishing you may get through the season without having to take them down.  If you're casting then it's generally more frequent takedowns as water will spray off the spool & work its way into the reel eventually. Once the thumb bars start to stick you'll know its time to get into the reel.

A reel service guy once told me the same. Very light spray to the reel. He said he would like to see the outside looking bad but the inside clean with no water. You start hitting these reels with a hoses or take the reel inside house and dunking them is worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.