Marty

Acid wrap bait casting rods

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

I have built two, one for bottom fishing and one for the surf. I like them, and they do take some strain off of your hand and wrist when you hook into something big.  They are the right tool for the job, but other tools (ie...guides-on-top rods) work as well. Think of a spiral wrap as a more fine tuned rod, and realizing that you do not have to use one to catch fish. 

I believe that there is one company making spiral rods, but I am not sure who that may be. Custom rod builders are well versed in building them, and even a novice can do it. I am a 100%  novice, and I have two rods that work great. Buy a blank, real seat, and guides, and give it a try.  Not everyone will be convinced that this type of rod works well, but most that try it are sold. 

16 mins ago, doyle007 said:

I have built two, one for bottom fishing and one for the surf. I like them, and they do take some strain off of your hand and wrist when you hook into something big.  They are the right tool for the job, but other tools (ie...guides-on-top rods) work as well. Think of a spiral wrap as a more fine tuned rod, and realizing that you do not have to use one to catch fish. 

I believe that there is one company making spiral rods, but I am not sure who that may be. Custom rod builders are well versed in building them, and even a novice can do it. I am a 100%  novice, and I have two rods that work great. Buy a blank, real seat, and guides, and give it a try.  Not everyone will be convinced that this type of rod works well, but most that try it are sold. 

When you say, takes the strain off your hand & wrist. I’m all ears.  I have a full R/wrist fusion with a metal plate. I have no power in my wrist and my wrist can not bend. This is why I take my rods in to have the butt made longer so it goes under my arm for lift power. How does a acid rod take the pressure off? 

If you search the rod building foru on this site, I've been making posts for 17 years about spiral wrapped rods. How they help my Mom when she's fishing. If you are interestedin a custom rod with a spiral wrap let me know. IF you want to learn how to build rods, I d seminars throught the winter in Staten Island, and we have one coming up on Feb 3rd at Grumpy's in Seaside.

The one thing you're going to find is a lot of people with uneducated opinions will give you an answer without any first hand knowledge.

10 mins ago, Marty said:

When you say, takes the strain off your hand & wrist. I’m all ears.  I have a full R/wrist fusion with a metal plate. I have no power in my wrist and my wrist can not bend. This is why I take my rods in to have the butt made longer so it goes under my arm for lift power. How does a acid rod take the pressure off? 

I have bad wrists as well from skateboarding and boxing. Multiple breaks and sprains leave them sore even thirty years later if I put too much stress on them. 

A conventional rod has the guides on top, but this is not a stable position. When a big fish bites and pulls, the line on top of the rod is trying to get to the bottom of the rod to find a stable position. If your guides are not spiral wrapped, you are resisting this rollover force by holding the reel and rod tightly in your hand, causing stress to your hand and wrist. Moving the line to the bottom of the rod, ala spinning rod setup, removes this rotational force and allows your hand to just support the rod and reel, and not have to fight to keep everything up right. 

Here is is an experiment that can mimic this situation:  take a sledge hammer and hold it by the bottom of the handle with the heavy head up in the air. Let the head drift just off of vertical, and see how much force you need to impart in order to keep that head at the top. This is an extreme example, but is similar to fighting a big fish with your guides on top. Now hold the sledge by the bottom again, but this time with the head hanging at the bottom.  You still need to support the weight, but there is no force needed to keep it stable. This is the spiral wrapped rod. 

Take Billy’s advice and check out the rod building forum, and if you are in PA, CT, NJ, or NY, then attend a NERBs gathering and see for yourself that you can do this on your own. 

Good luck. 

If you have wrist, elbow, shoulder, back issues - they help - they reduce the side to side torque is the best way I can explain it. I get tennis elbow in both elbows.  Bouncing a bucktail all day can really inflame the TE.  I'd rather fish with a funny looking rod than not fish because of TE.

IMO they get progressively more helpful the heavier you go.

1 hour ago, Billy 40 said:

The one thing you're going to find is a lot of people with uneducated opinions will give you an answer without any first hand knowledge.

^^ The truth, at last. 

There are several and varied advantages of a spiral-wrapped rod. There is one -- yes, only one -- downside, and that is that they look weird. 

Most anglers care more about appearance than performance, and therefore the weird looks matter more to them than getting a better fishing rod. Whether you are in the majority is a question only you can answer. 

I know I’m old school but I been missing out with these acid wrap rods. I have a really hard time bringing in a bass. The rod starts to twist when a big fish is in. That’s were it gets hard for me because I’m trying to hold the reel so rod doesn’t twist. On a few of my rods the reel seat got loose and the upper butt broke loose. This mayb the answer. 

4 mins ago, Belmo said:

^^ The truth, at last. 

There are several and varied advantages of a spiral-wrapped rod. There is one -- yes, only one -- downside, and that is that they look weird. 

Most anglers care more about appearance than performance, and therefore the weird looks matter more to them than getting a better fishing rod. Whether you are in the majority is a question only you can answer. 

Me, you got the wrong guy. I don’t wash, service any fishing stuff. When it looks like blood n gutts and rust, I’m happy. 

8 mins ago, Belmo said:

^^ The truth, at last. 

guys wash there lures every time they use them. I want the lure salty, sandy with chips. 

D764233A-8188-4741-9685-DACB42983DF0.jpeg

2 mins ago, Marty said:

Me, you got the wrong guy. I don’t wash, service any fishing stuff. When it looks like blood n gutts and rust, I’m happy. 

Then you may not like acids wrapped rods.  Most folks initial reaction is that they are silly fancy pants rods for dilettantes.

2 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Then you may not like acids wrapped rods.  Most folks initial reaction is that they are silly fancy pants rods for dilettantes.

Just the opposite. If it works, I’m in. I don’t care how it looks. 

5 mins ago, Marty said:

Just the opposite. If it works, I’m in. I don’t care how it looks. 

Then you'll be fine. Most guys dislike spirals because they don't want people coming up to them like they're a weirdo. I enjoy that. :D