Knoxy10

Frozen canal?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Did anyone notice the canal was mainly frozen today, or was it just me? Does this usually happen in the winter because I was shocked due to strong currents coming in and out as well as it usually takes really REALLY cold weather to freeze saltwater and I didn’t think it was cold enough to do it. 

6 hours ago, Knoxy10 said:

I thought it was pretty cool though. 

Yeah looks pretty neat when you drive over the bridge and see all that flow ice moving through........Sucks to maneuver through that stuff in a boat though........... 

2 hours ago, robc22 said:

Yeah looks pretty neat when you drive over the bridge and see all that flow ice moving through........Sucks to maneuver through that stuff in a boat though........... 

I don’t doubt that. I saw tugs have a struggle with it yesterday when I went to F/V to get fish 

Totally covered with ice cubes today as far as I could see in both directions on way home from work from atop the Bourne Bridge. No clear water visible. Pretty cool. 

Is it just me? or is that ship being towed about 3 feet off the rocks.

Perspective maybe but geez.

Rocks.jpg.681371e81b72562254b90cfacf7f7308.jpg

Haven't been down with a tape measure or anything, but this year's ice looks a bit choppier/somewhat thinner than the giant 50yd-wide, 6" thick rafts that were running through in late Feb '15. Maybe pic taken late in day and boats had already busted up the rafts who knows 

2 mins ago, rst3 said:

Is it just me? or is that ship being towed about 3 feet off the rocks.

Perspective maybe but geez.

Rocks.jpg.681371e81b72562254b90cfacf7f7308.jpg

Haven't been down with a tape measure or anything, but this year's ice looks a bit choppier/somewhat thinner than the giant 50yd-wide, 6" thick rafts that were running through in late Feb '15. Maybe pic taken late in day and boats had already busted up the rafts who knows 

I’ve never seen ice in the canal but it looks nutty and I’m afraid of a boats hull getting shredded and oil going into the area. I don’t want the area ruined with oil and not allow us to fish, but I also don’t want expensive repairs done for the small companies that rely on oil to make a living