when to use a 2 handed rod

Rate this topic

taylorgilbert

4 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

I just hope it has stones. Then Dave will be good to go if it blows and it always blows.

We'll see.  Of course, if it has stones and Dave gets swept away again, it may be a problem.  Ha ha.  Haven't cast it yet, but will let you know if it has stones. 

I'm a two handed addict for trout and salmon - heavily into it.  I've yet to use it saltwater though?  I think mostly because I hate pulling the head all the way in d/t the bump at the junction between the running line and head.  I fish a lot at night in Long Island Sound and many times the fish hit real close.  That being said, I just find SH rods better suited for my fishing.

I do have a bud that like TH overhead casting from the beach at CC but I've yet to try.

Dr Bob

If that line junction is a deal breaker for you it is possible to find wf integrated lines of around 500 -510

They will work on rods up to 10 wt no probs.

The problem of getting the cast away when not much head is outside the tip is similar for both rods.

Why not give it a try and maybe  your addiction can grow some more.

The Guys fishing TH have overcome this small prob. 

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Wulff Ambush - they make an integrated shooting head with a decent running line that is perfect for OH as well as separate heads all the way up to 650g.  The 13wt Ambush (integrated) is 550g, and I have been adding 8-10' tips of T-10 to T-17, to reach an effective total head length of ~37'-38.5'.   That's effectively 630g to 720g of OH load. I don't even have a rod that can handle the upper end (yet).  Only problem is the head is a floater and very thick so you need a large capacity reel.  Above 10wt here is what you get in terms of weight/head length:

AMB 10.5 F 25′ 425 gr.
AMB 11 F 24′ 450 gr.
AMB 11.5 F 26′ 475 gr.
AMB 12 F 25′ 500 gr.
AMB 12.5 F 29′ 525 gr.
AMB 13 F 28.5′ 550 gr.
AMB 13.5 F 30′ 575 gr.
AMB 14 F 29′ 600 gr.
AMB 14.5 F 31′ 625 gr.
AMB 15 F 30′ 650 gr.
Edited by Killiefish

51 mins ago, Killiefish said:

Wulff Ambush - they make an integrated shooting head with a decent running line that is perfect for OH as well as separate heads all the way up to 650g.  The 13wt Ambush (integrated) is 550g, and I have been adding 8-10' tips of T-10 to T-17, to reach an effective total head length of ~37'-38.5'.   That's effectively 630g to 720g of OH load. I don't even have a rod that can handle the upper end (yet).  Only problem is the head is a floater and very thick so you need a large capacity reel.  Above 10wt here is what you get in terms of weight/head length:

AMB 10.5 F 25′ 425 gr.
AMB 11 F 24′ 450 gr.
AMB 11.5 F 26′ 475 gr.
AMB 12 F 25′ 500 gr.
AMB 12.5 F 29′ 525 gr.
AMB 13 F 28.5′ 550 gr.
AMB 13.5 F 30′ 575 gr.
AMB 14 F 29′ 600 gr.
AMB 14.5 F 31′ 625 gr.
AMB 15 F 30′ 650 gr.

Thanks for posting Killie.  

I'd like to up line my TH by a little and the 13.5wt might be just the ticket.   To Bears Den I shall go :)

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

35 mins ago, HillTop said:

Thanks for posting Killie.  

I'd like to up line my TH by a little and the 13.5wt might be just the ticket.   To Bears Den I shall go :)

Remember that these are generally intended to be used with tips - I suggest that you look at an 10' to 12' tip weighing another 120-140g or more.   Are you sure that your rod can handle that amt. of grains?  The best 10' intermediate tips I have found are by Airflo or Rio.  For sinking, ~10' of T-14 or  ~12' of T-10 also would work, but YMMV.

Yes, good point.    Currently using the Serum Tip System for a total of about 540 grains.  Varies ±15 grains depending on what tip I put on (sinker, intermediate & a floater).    I've had some issues with the Serum loops.   I'll check out both the Airflo & Rio's to see how the numbers match up.    Thanks again.

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

When to use a TH rod?

Well, that's easy.

- when you need to cast longer distances than you can with a SH rod

- when you need to cast long or fairly long distances (that would require quite heavy SH gear) hours and days on end

Just caught my first TH SW fish today. Not a chance I would have been able to hook it with a SH rod. I was casting almost an inch diameter popper 120ft+ from a cliff to a strong ocean current.