taylorgilbert

when to use a 2 handed rod

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

iv been wondering lately why 2 handed rods havent caught on here in florida and what makes fishery better suited to a 2 handed rod?

i have one that someone gave me before i left NY and its really just collecting dust since ive got no idea when or how to use it...but lately iv been hearing about gag grouper being all over the bigger bridges around here right now so and id like to try and tangle with one from shore 

What exactly is the two handed rod that you own?

Do you already have a line and reel for it?

How far are you expecting to have to cast?

How deep is the water you are expecting to cast to?

Is there current or a rip?

How windy is it usually?

The reason I am asking all of the above questions is that the answers will influence any recommendations to see if your rod is appropriate, or if a better line set up will be needed.

Most two handed rods were designed as river rods, to swing flies in bigger rivers. Thus, they are medium action rods not meant to develop high line speed to fish out front in windy conditions. 

Sink tips, or sinking lines are necessary if fishing deeper than the first few feet of water.

Taylor

TH rods have not caught on anywhere in the USA big time in the salt.  Very few Fishers use them. They can be used in any of your fisheries. No need to limit them at all. I am talking shore based.

I have my own ideas why they have not caught on but I do not want to get caught up yet again in a tiresome endless debate  that typically leads to nowhere positive often driven by guys who have little or no experience of using them.

You have one so just give it a twirl and see how you get on. That can become your first point of reference to move on from or not.

Long levers may not be best choice in fighting fish like  a Grouper that fight down and dirty.

It is a bit like food you can’t tell solely from how it looks and smells you have to eat it to find out if you like it.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Having fished next to people who use them I hate them.

When they show up they need so much room to cast that they invade your space and seem to get upset when you ask them to move. Do they have fishing application yes, but not on streams/rivers that have limited space, not on a beach in a blitz and there is limited casting space.

They were designed to be used on large rivers with no one around you to make long upstream casts to get a long drift/swing for Atlantic Salmon. 

If that is not what you are doing you will aggravate those around you and you will find it very frustrating when those around you snag your line.

I like the TH rod because it allows me to get larger flies out there (with larger lines)  without killing myself in the process. I'll be developing my skills with mending line, etc. so I can get more proficient using it in rivers and rips.

1 hour ago, Quonnie said:

When they show up they need so much room to cast that they invade your space and seem to get upset when you ask them to move. Do they have fishing application yes, but not on streams/rivers that have limited space, not on a beach in a blitz and there is limited casting space.

They were designed to be used on large rivers with no one around you to make long upstream casts to get a long drift/swing for Atlantic Salmon. 

If that is not what you are doing you will aggravate those around you and you will find it very frustrating when those around you snag your line.

I don't see how they take up more room?  2H overcasting , the line goes over head.   I can if they were making a side arm cast.  

the rod is a cabelas fish eagle 12'4 8/9 

not sure what is required reel wise but i  have speedsters in 3,3.5 and 4 as well as a galvan rush 8 and a torque 12

i have a  few SA mastery bonefish  in 8wt, a cold water intermediate 8wt  ( cant recall which) as well as 12wt tarpon lines 

depth and distance vary bridge to bridge obviously but possibly as deep as 20'

we do have a few currents and rips that snook will stack up in a eat pass crabs this was actually the first thing that caught my attention in regard to using a TH rod here 

wind is a factor in any saltwater situation but not a huge one its alot calmer here then the northeast surf usually is 

i was thinking of using a TH cause of the fact weve gotta send a large fly quiet a ways and get it down deep around bridges where monster fish lurk, also not too worried about space or other anglers in these spots. in addition to the gags theres also just about everything that swims up along bridge pilings from cobia to kingfish and everything inbetween so no telling whats gunna eat next the gags have been the most appealing cause its something to do at night while the snook are too cold to wanna chew. i figured id be better off fighting a grouper with a short stout rod but the reality is you cant put a grouper on the reel anyway or youll get smoked so its all muscle at that point and if it comes to me breaking a rod ill take it as a sign its time to invest in a higher end rod ! 

2 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Quonnie

I am sorry that. You had that experience when fishing with guys casting TH rods. Not sure why for as ccb says we should not take up any more room than a single hand Fly rod Fisher. I feel it’s not the rod but the guys using them who were disrespecting all around them.

In the past TH rods were designed for Salmon although very few would have made upstream casts. Today we do have TH rods designed for the surf.

Only an idiot or a totally selfish person deliberately encroaches on another’s space.  Sadly they are out there.

My own personal rules of engagement are that I would not join a line of Spin guys who were already fishing  be it with a SH or a TH rod.

I would not try and fish a fly rod mostly on the Cape Cod  Canal or Under the light in Montauk but other places where it’s sensible to fish fly and I am first there I am not giving way to others who show up later. Not willingly anyway. LOL as I am quite a small guy.:)

Mike

I have found most of these situation on the Salmon River, maybe they do not know how to cast but when they enter a pool they make these huge casts that bring the line over your head and I have had them hit my fly rod or line while I am roll casting when they show up I ask nice and the leave I have not found one to be a gentlemen they all act as if they own the pool when they show up. But then the Sakmon River is know for combat fishing, it is to small to use those methods you do not need them on that river.

“when to use a 2 handed rod”

Hello all, follow this site very often and I’m not very active because words is not my forte to reach to others, all I can read here is great information from fisherman’s that spend serious time in the water, it really helps me a lot , thank you for that guys.
I’m a huge fun of TH fly rods, I almost quit many years ago on fly fishing, and this rods get my nipples hard again just by casting those things with a integrated short heads fly lines, as well as the Skagit heads when only roll or spey cast in the surf.
For the last 6 seasons the SH or Switch fly rods are also back in my truck again, all thanks to the Skagit heads.

My first TH line of choice to use is a integrated short head fly line when I only over head cast, using a 12’ 6” TH fly rod, for me, is the best tool from a jetty, also I like in some local open back bays fishing bulky top water patterns.
For the last 4 seasons my full time tool for fly fishing the surf is the 11’ Switch rods & Skagit heads depending on surf conditions, I would go from 450 to 600gr. The SH is going to be my last choice only because my lack of strength on my casting arm, causing  poor timing and bad line tracking skills, I’m very limited using this rods over 60’ cast, also using a 300gr Skagit head set up on SH fly rods. Love it to fish the beach lip as a nymphing rig...!!! 

This is my personal view after 18 seasons using a fly rods, and what advice, if you will,  I have to give to the post question ...“when to use a 2 handed rod”...
I choose the Skagit Head “system” over  any TH fly rod on any saltwater scenario; don’t want to go any farther guys, but after many seasons in the water looking for the best set up for the surf that can be as versatile, compact and effective as a buck tail is for a spinning rod fisherman on any time of the year even if windy or strong surf conditions to get in to the local fish, is going to be the Skagit heads on any of the 3 different kind of fly rods we can find in the market.

I quit on the fight for the “best tool” that can give me few options on convencional fly lines, for the “buck tail version” fly line set up that can give me all by using any of the 3 fly rods with over head back cast no longer need, no more guys like Quonnie to be aggravated if you know what you are doing, either at day time or night, no more trouble fighting the fish to the hand with longer rods if you  learn to hand lining a fish from a jetty or rocks. Sadly this is not a weekend trip, sites like this helps me a lot, but not easy to learn if you put more time infront a laptop, you must spend time in the water, you’ll improve, you’ll adapt.
Tight lines to you all for the 2018.

When conditions are not too bad I mostly Spey cast 650gr Scandi shooting heads using 12'6'' DH rod because it very easy to put smallish fly anywere because I can cast both side and turn direction without much back cast room and I don't need to watch if there is someone behind me. I have fished using DH setups in Florida many times and normal cool water shooting heads cast fine when I use Mono shooting line.

When wind is very strong I take a 11ft rod which has 1-2oz lure rating and overhead cast 700gr shooting heads. It took ten minutes to build it a fly rod when I tied "stainless steel plate snap lock fishing reel seat" which cost only $2 on top of cork. When I travel I overhead cast fly line using 10ft 4piece lure rods which fit to my suitcase.

I just bought a Daiva Ardito TR 11ft 5 piece lure rod 15-30lbs which after only one test session seems to have potential to become my best overhead casting travel fly rod. If there are travelling fly anglers there was one left on ebay after me ;) :)

Esa

6 hours ago, crunch said:

When wind is very strong I take a 11ft rod which has 1-2oz lure rating and overhead cast 700gr shooting heads. It took ten minutes to build it a fly rod when I tied "stainless steel plate snap lock fishing reel seat" which cost only $2 on top of cork. When I travel I overhead cast fly line using 10ft 4piece lure rods which fit to my suitcase.

I just bought a Daiva Ardito TR 11ft 5 piece lure rod 15-30lbs which after only one test session seems to have potential to become my best overhead casting travel fly rod. If there are travelling fly anglers there was one left on ebay after me ;) :)

Esa

Esa, when you mentioned the Daiwa rod (which is based on a 5 piece spinning rod blank) it made me curious.  There are two models - one is rated 2-6oz (M) and one is rated 3-8oz (MH).  Both are more powerful than the 1-2 oz rating you said can handle 700g.  Are you really going to adapt the 3-8oz version of this rod for TH fly fishing?   How are you going to adapt?  New handle made out of cork or just tape the reel on?  Can you strip off all the ugly red fittings on the handle and replace it with a nicer and properly balanced TH fly rod grip?  Even so, what weight lines would this require.  900-1000g for the 3-8oz rod and maybe 700-800 grains for the 2-6oz???

Just curious.  I just ordered the lighter 2-6 oz version of this rod to cannibalize the blank for travel, so maybe you are way ahead of me.  Please advise.  What I think I want to do is make a 5 or 6 piece fly-spin rod (reversible grip), throwing 1-5oz tins or or 625-650+ grains OH.

Edited by Killiefish