Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FEW3

Gull attacks

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I saw a gull today chomping on something on the service road and thought " load it in the trap".

I walked toward with and the gull wasn't moving from my newfound bait ( unless I saw a rat carcass).

About 10 feet to my score and I realized the gull is wicked big and has brown wings ( canal bird gang markings? )

Took one picture before that Brown Wings Matter bastard landed again.

I honestly wonder which would be worse, Seagull attack, Snake attack, or Shark.

I encounter seagulls and snakes more than sharks so I know where my odds are.

20180107_154800.jpg

They get pretty daring this time of year when a meal is hard to come by

They use to sit on the bow of my quahog skiff

I would feed em the green crabs that came up in my bullrake

Got one at work named Gary.....He sits on the roof and I toss him the leavening's when we cut up a sword........ 

12 hours ago, robc22 said:

They get pretty daring this time of year when a meal is hard to come by

They use to sit on the bow of my quahog skiff

I would feed em the green crabs that came up in my bullrake

Got one at work named Gary.....He sits on the roof and I toss him the leavening's when we cut up a sword........ 

Oh man what a memory. I remember feeding the gulls. Spiders and green crabs were a favorite. I would throw the crabs up into the front of the boat to see if they would come inside. It was good entertainment for the sometimes lonely hours on the boat. Ever see one of them stand on one leg? That blew me away...

4 hours ago, bradW said:

Oh man what a memory. I remember feeding the gulls. Spiders and green crabs were a favorite. I would throw the crabs up into the front of the boat to see if they would come inside. It was good entertainment for the sometimes lonely hours on the boat. Ever see one of them stand on one leg? That blew me away...

I always wondered about the one legged thingy too.........Here's what I found.........

During cold weather they tuck one foot deep within the feathers, keeping it snug and warm and change feet regularly to distribute the heat. In a popular identification guide to gulls, there are a couple of photographs of them standing on ice, both only using one leg.

9 hours ago, bradW said:

Oh man what a memory. I remember feeding the gulls....

Oh yeah... feeding the gulls. Next time you drive thru Nags Head with a friend going to Hatteras, stop a "Mickey Ds" - there will be gulls in the parking lot. Go inside... Then just do what it takes to get your buddy to walk out with an order of fries in each hand.

Don't forget to video.

12 hours ago, robc22 said:

I always wondered about the one legged thingy too.........Here's what I found.........

During cold weather they tuck one foot deep within the feathers, keeping it snug and warm and change feet regularly to distribute the heat. In a popular identification guide to gulls, there are a couple of photographs of them standing on ice, both only using one leg.

Rob, thats what i always figured. They are smart creatures, but can be very nasty. I've seen the black backs do a number on the young birds. Canibilistic behavior for sure

2 hours ago, bradW said:

Rob, thats what i always figured. They are smart creatures, but can be very nasty. I've seen the black backs do a number on the young birds. Canibilistic behavior for sure

Oh yeah.......The blackbacks love ducks particularly the little buffleheads........One of the cool things about fishing winter.......You had the bay to yourself and mother nature usually would put a show on for you if you looked............

I used to love checking my canal traps in late Dec and Jan. Some days the gulls would be famished and actually landing on the trap I'd be working on trying to removed the fresh bait. I'd often have 25 gulls within 15' of me.

15 mins ago, bob_G said:

Some days the gulls would be famished and actually landing on the trap I'd be working on trying to removed the fresh bait. I'd often have 25 gulls within 15' of me.

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

I used to love checking my canal traps in late Dec and Jan. Some days the gulls would be famished and actually landing on the trap I'd be working on trying to removed the fresh bait. I'd often have 25 gulls within 15' of me.

Don't walk to far from your bait bucket! They will have a quik feast!! lol